Olympics 2021

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 20, 2020
I don't think they are helping the sport by having so many older players. Osterman's great; Abbot's great. But they are also old enough to be the mom's of the players the sport needs to be recruting with this Olympic experience. I think Garcia was the youngest player on the team, and she's 24.

I listened to the Ringer podcast about softball return today, and there's a lot at stake for these Olympics. The diamond sports need to be bringing in new excitement and new energy, because they have to convince the IOC -- or the next venue -- that they want them at the 2024 Games. (the only reason they are in Tokyo is because softball and baseball are joined due to IOC gender equality standards, and Japan loves baseball). The US team, while they won, looked as dull and unexciting as they could be, like they were plumbers on a job site.

I think USA softball feels the need to reward a lot of these long-timers with the chance to play in the Games after softball had been absent for 13 years. But when the same pitcher starts the loss on 2008, and then the first game of the 2020 games, that presents a stagnation in a sport that really doesn't deserve that image.

Aug 21, 2008
You forgot to tag @Hillhouse ...there I did it for you :p

omg, is she announcing again? Thank God I didn't watch, I'd have thrown up in my mouth.

I know it's been said before but, I can confirm a couple things from my time with the US team earlier this year: 1. they did have to make a concession to play on baseball fields to get the game back into the Olympics. (Even Japan's pro leagues, men and women play on similar fields). #2. Not all games are at the same event. I remember a lot of chatter about a lot of domestic travel within Japan to play at different venues. That has become more relevant than ever now with the Covid spikes in Japan.

Apr 1, 2017
I don't think they are helping the sport by having so many older players. Osterman's great; Abbot's great. But they are also old enough to be the mom's of the players the sport needs to be recruting with this Olympic experience. I think Garcia was the youngest player on the team, and she's 24.

I would agree. Any growth in the sport is going to come from building the fan base at younger levels. Right now, the WCWS is the peak of the sport when it comes to fans. Those are the players that the younger people know. If you had Plain starting last night and being relieved in the 7th by Fouts or Alexander, you bring the younger viewers into the game. Or having Alo, Jennings, etc. bashing the ball. There isn't anyone under 20 who saw Osterman pitch in the WCWS.

My daughter (15 years old) and I were on the couch watching the White Sox game last night. When it ended, we flipped to the USA game. After an inning or so she quit watching and went to her room. She didn't know any of the players...

Side note: Yes, the field was a terrible look for TV. Not having fans kills the vibe too. Similar to watching MLB last summer. The all-red uniforms are horrible too. My daughter said they look like highlighters.

Mar 10, 2020

I listened to the Ringer podcast about softball return today, and there's a lot at stake for these Olympics. The diamond sports need to be bringing in new excitement and new energy, because they have to convince the IOC -- or the next venue -- that they want them at the 2024 Games. (the only reason they are in Tokyo is because softball and baseball are joined due to IOC gender equality standards, and Japan loves baseball). The US team, while they won, looked as dull and unexciting as they could be, like they were plumbers on a job site.

I think USA softball feels the need to reward a lot of these long-timers with the chance to play in the Games after softball had been absent for 13 years. But when the same pitcher starts the loss on 2008, and then the first game of the 2020 games, that presents a stagnation in a sport that really doesn't deserve that image.
This is a stigma carried over from mens basketball platform of pro players representing USA. These older players have the title of having been at that level befor.

Jun 8, 2016
The US doesn’t need the Olympics to grow the game. It is the international community that needs it and I am not sure how that can be done. If you look at men’s basketball, the initial Dream team did a lot towards this goal but there is not the equivalent of MJ, Bird and Magic in women’s softball (in terms of world recognition).

Edit: I do find it interesting that many of the baseball-crazed countries (DR for example) don't have better fastpitch teams but that may be a gender gap thing in those countries more than anything else..

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom