Olivia, 11 Years Old or: "Another season down, another season of random swing mechanics during each at bat"

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 26, 2017
Oklahoma
See https://www.discussfastpitch.com/threads/marcela-9-years-old.35568/page-14

posts 131 and 133 for what @Work=wins likes, or at least has suggested, for a loading model. It isn't the only way. At the end of the day you need to try and create some stretch in your core in your load and try and hold on to that until you are ready to launch.

Well, my assumption was that "teach a more sagittal action timed with a tip" wasn't just a catch-all for every hitter in every situation. I'm certainly interested in any feedback at all, but I'd like to hear more about what Olivia would gain from it, specifically (or at least the best way to implement it without losing what she's doing well). Bio-mechanics are NOT my strong suite, so maybe I just need more explanation than most, to get it.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Door #1
A balanced pre-swing load (think head to toe) not catcher to pitcher. This will allow the hitter to become dynamically balanced while getting fyb.

610WPPc.gif

Bigger moves (head to toe) may allow for more body awareness.

lRLzs1j.gif

Dec 26, 2017
Oklahoma
Is correct. Not a bad swing but, has too big of a move out. Too much going on before your DD even gets set which seems to cause her to rush. Which seems to cause the big movement forward. Need to tone down and get more under controlled of her sequence and mechanics. Again I do like her swing mostly on the foul balls straight back.

Hence, the 'load to create forward movement' comment. FBC......Forward by Coil.

Part of the difficulty I have, I think, is getting her to understand what a stretch or load is supposed to feel like. When I start to talk about anything having to do with physical cues like that, she looks at me like I'm speaking another language. I don't think she has a ton of body awareness.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Try telling her she has to learn how to move forward using head to toe loading actions without using the rear leg to push her forward (towards the pitcher). No ball needed just work on moving forward.

Should look something like this when she gets fyb. If Door #1 is what you're after ;)

The rear leg/hip relationship may just happen naturally as a result.

6aIFBxs.gif

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2017
Try telling her she has to learn how to move forward using head to toe loading actions without using the rear leg to push her forward (towards the pitcher). No ball needed just work on moving forward.

Should look something like this when she gets fyb. If Door #1 is what you're after ;)

The rear leg/hip relationship may just happen naturally as a result.

6aIFBxs.gif
What is head to toe loading, never heard of that?

Jun 8, 2016
Ok. I see what you are saying. To me they use it as a timing of the sequence to get the hip to coil, load what every you call it.
It also puts those who start off more upright in proper (chest over the ball) posture and helps create a balanced move out. Personally I think that (the head to toe loading) is more of a style thing than anything but @TDS and @Work=wins may disagree.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cputman12