Ole Miss Coach Mike Smith Suspended

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 16, 2010
Alabama
I am all for tough love and pushing players to limits they do not know they can reach. Pushing players who are injured or using racial or homophobic language toward players is over the line.

Jun 11, 2013
It's just another change in how things are done today. The days of coaches who can just treat players like crap because they hold all the power is going away. The kids today aren't going to stand for it and I don't blame them. It is a lot easier to get evidence today than it used to be so it's not just an 18 year old kids word against a "revered" coach. It will take better coaches who can motivate with better techniques than just berating kids and hope they toughen up.

Aug 20, 2017
Can’t treat girls like you can boys! I’ve learned this over my coaching career. Girls have a spirit about them that you must not break! They have to LIKE AND RESPECT you for you to get the most out of them! If they like you and respect you they will run through a brick wall for you. If you lack either of those from your players...good luck! It’s not an easy balance in this game that is highly competitive.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Can’t treat girls like you can boys! I’ve learned this over my coaching career. Girls have a spirit about them that you must not break! They have to LIKE AND RESPECT you for you to get the most out of them! If they like you and respect you they will run through a brick wall for you. If you lack either of those from your players...good luck! It’s not an easy balance in this game that is highly competitive.

You also get more out of boys if they like and respect you. My HOF HS football coach could yell and be a hardass, but everyone liked and respected him. Why? He was fair, had time for all of his players, and never personally belittled or ignored anyone no matter how far down the depth chart they were. He won a crap-ton of games coaching multiple sports at both the HS and small college level, and I don't know anyone who ever said anything bad about him. You can yell at any athlete when the situation calls for it, but there's a pretty easy line to NOT cross if you have any clue at all.

May 6, 2015
You also get more out of boys if they like and respect you. My HOF HS football coach could yell and be a hardass, but everyone liked and respected him. Why? He was fair, had time for all of his players, and never personally belittled or ignored anyone no matter how far down the depth chart they were. He won a crap-ton of games coaching multiple sports at both the HS and small college level, and I don't know anyone who ever said anything bad about him. You can yell at any athlete when the situation calls for it, but there's a pretty easy line to NOT cross if you have any clue at all.
and there is a big difference in yelling TO someone rather than AT them. there is a way to make them aware you thought they should have made the play, without not indicating to them you think they cannot play. the former will get the girl traying harder, the latter might just make them shut down.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
If you are a fan of Hockey you are seeing many old style command and control type coaches being raked over the coals for the methods they used. No one questions the toughness or grit of an NHL hockey player, yet here we are with many All Star caliber players talking about how certain coaches worked and the affect it had on players. And it’s not looking good for the coaches.

It’s a new world and coaches will have to adapt.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28