Ole Miss Coach Mike Smith Suspended

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 29, 2015
Mike Smith, not Mike White.

Article doesn’t say ...

On an unrelated note, I find this odd:

Smith has been the Rebels’ head coach for five seasons, leading the program to four NCAA tournament appearances and a pair of Super Regional berths, the only such appearances in program history.

During his tenure as Rebels’ head coach, Smith owns a 186-114 overall record, with a 46-73 mark against SEC opponents. The Rebels won the 2017 SEC tournament title, going 4-0 en route to the first conference championship in Rebels’ history.

They have made the NCAA Tournament 4 times in 5 years with a 62% overall win percentage and a 39% conference win percentage? Edit: I guess a 100 win season in MLB is a 62% win percentage. The numbers just seem low for an accomplishment like that.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Article doesn’t say ...

On an unrelated note, I find this odd:

Smith has been the Rebels’ head coach for five seasons, leading the program to four NCAA tournament appearances and a pair of Super Regional berths, the only such appearances in program history.

During his tenure as Rebels’ head coach, Smith owns a 186-114 overall record, with a 46-73 mark against SEC opponents. The Rebels won the 2017 SEC tournament title, going 4-0 en route to the first conference championship in Rebels’ history.

They have made the NCAA Tournament 4 times in 5 years with a 62% overall win percentage and a 39% conference win percentage? Edit: I guess a 100 win season in MLB is a 62% win percentage. The numbers just seem low for an accomplishment like that.
As an SEC team if you are over .500 the RPI is usually high enough to get you into a Regional. I think was Mizzou a season or so ago that cancelled a game or two with a strong opponent less they risk dropping below .500 and missing the tournament.

Mar 28, 2014
One of the comments--

Hailey
11/18/2019 18:12:56

Being someone that has first hand experience as a softball player at Ole Miss as Mike Smith as the coach, nothing makes me happier than to see that something is finally being done to stop the horrible way he treats his athletes. He ignored me every single day at practice and I’m not sure if it is because I am gay or because I was going through an injury while I was there, or both? He forced me to throw when my shoulder was not ready yet after surgery and even though I told him how painful it was, he did not care. Which then resulted in me needing a second OPEN shoulder surgery. I know so many girls that he ruined and it has nothing to do with us “not wanting to work hard” or not getting playing time. If you want to speak about something that you actually have facts about then you might want to talk to his past and present players who have first hand experience of what it is like to play for him. He cut me the day he found out I needed a second shoulder surgery, THAT HE CAUSED. I have talked to several of his former athletes and all can agree that he is not only a terrible coach but an all together horrible person. I went to the athletic director and they did not care what I had to say. I had proof of the awful things he did and said to me, but they did not care. But before everyone talks about how us athletes just want something to complain about, maybe you should talk to someone that has played for him and actually hear their story cause what I have said in this short response, is not half of what he put me through and did to me during my time at Ole Miss. I just hope he finally gets what he deserves and he doesn’t have the opportunity to ruin another athlete.

Jul 3, 2013
As an SEC team if you are over .500 the RPI is usually high enough to get you into a Regional. I think was Mizzou a season or so ago that cancelled a game or two with a strong opponent less they risk dropping below .500 and missing the tournament.

It was 2 years ago. They dropped a doubleheader vs Wichita State to play a much softer opponent. They also finished last in the SEC, missing the conference tournament (which they were hosting). They still made the NCAA field.

Dec 11, 2010
Which is kind of funny. Wichita State for those that don’t know, puts a competitive team on the field but no SEC team should be nervous to play them. (This was post Earleywine pre Anderson)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802