Ole Miss Coach Mike Smith Suspended

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 22, 2019
Minnesota, USA
Two questions come to mind.

2. Why did he resign if he didn't do anything wrong?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Whether he did anything or not, he's already been convicted in the court of public opinion. The administration will sever ties to save money and reputation whether he actually did anything wrong or not. These are the times we live in.

Jul 3, 2013
If you resign they give you a pay out / pay off. If you get fired, not so much.
My question was based on the belief that he wouldn't received a buyout for resignation. Probably a good choice, if the other option is to be fired for cause.

Jul 22, 2015
2. Why did he resign if he didn't do anything wrong?

Probably because he knows he can get another job without a problem and doesn't need to go through this entire process and have his name dragged through the mud for even longer. Most likely received a nice payoff for resigning vs making the university fire him, appealing, etc.

JOHNN

Just a dad of 3 girls
Aug 5, 2019
South Louisiana
If this is true, it is despicable. There are few things that make me more angry than someone who falsely accuses someone else of sexual misconduct. And people may resign if they didn't do anything wrong to save themselves and their families the humiliation of public excoriation. Or because they're under heavy pressure from those higher up. It definitely happens.

From what I understand it was a case of him either resigning or being fired. From what I’ve read, a lot of former players were not surprised that he was finally let go due to the way he treated players.

Apr 28, 2014
If you resign they give you a pay out / pay off. If you get fired, not so much.
Depends on why they fired him.
If it was for cause then he may not get his contact paid out. Depends on how his agent or lawyer worded it.
In most cases contracts are paid off by the university unless a rule was violated or conduct was not in line with the rules of the school.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cputman12