Ole Miss Coach Mike Smith Suspended

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 7, 2016
Blueman :),
Sorry if I caused offense. I do not see how you can exand a sport's participation rate and not see dilution of the quality of game in the aggregate. There is only so much talent(both coaching and players) that can be spread across teams. I would prefer to see more athletes participate and have dilution than create an abitrary quality mandate that limits participation. As I see it, over time it will sort itself out (I think that is the case at all levels; eg Oklahoma does not regulary play Bumpkin Tech U).
To your point of certain organizations and coaches stoking delusion in order to grab cash from unwitting parents I am in full agreement.

May 29, 2015
@diamond14 , no offense at all!

That is the Catch 22 of it.

Unfortunately, “it will shake out” usually means the exact opposite occurs and many players leave the game because they were in over their heads. Or, as we are seeing now, programs like rec and community ball evaporate so we lose a “starting place” for players to enter the game.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I will say it's much harder to find quality talent then it was 20 years ago. Its still there but you really have to sift through the talent pool to find great employees.
That’s the result of low unemployment. Less qualified people out of work means it’s tougher to find them.

I for one have no qualms about the younger generations. If My kids and their friends are any indication of their generation, we are in good hands. My friends were all knuckleheads and we turned out fine.

Dec 11, 2010
If you are in a position of authority, showing respect to people who are not at all being respectful to you is an automatic right move. It can change the temperature of a situation. Sometimes it takes time to develop. Sometimes it doesn’t work. You don’t quit doing it because it isn’t working yet though.

Yes, respect is an earned deal. Yes, some people automatically expect it when they shouldn’t. (Is that entitlement? I don’t really dig that term.) Being the first person to have a calm demeanor and respectful tone with the right amount and kind of eye contact is the high road. It’s the right thing to do. It’s not easy and I have failed at it some times. Its still the right approach most of the time and I believe in it.

Jul 3, 2013
Two questions come to mind.

1. Why do people ask 'Why are the only players complaining the non-starters?' And not 'Why are the only players defending the coach the starters?'

2. Why did he resign if he didn't do anything wrong?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
If this is true, it is despicable. There are few things that make me more angry than someone who falsely accuses someone else of sexual misconduct. And people may resign if they didn't do anything wrong to save themselves and their families the humiliation of public excoriation. Or because they're under heavy pressure from those higher up. It definitely happens.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812