Old School pics

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 14, 2018
The Staten Island Advance just published a story about some of the best HS softball pitchers in New York City from the 1980’s. It’s got some great still action shots from the time. So many of them threw the ball just above their shoe laces! Anyway, good for a smile during this time of no softball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
The Staten Island Advance just published a story about some of the best HS softball pitchers in New York City from the 1980’s. It’s got some great still action shots from the time. So many of them threw the ball just above their shoe laces! Anyway, good for a smile during this time of no softball.

Cool. You had to be one amazing athlete to succeed at the delivery of a pitch back then. 😮

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019

Nice! Thanks for posting this !

Mar 6, 2016
Holy cow they were so LOW when they released the pitches. Was it slow pitch or fastpitch? I'd like to see the actual speed that they threw from that low to the ground. Almost like they were bowling.

May 27, 2013
That is fastpitch - slingshot pitching. That’s how I used to pitch - I think I topped out in low 50’s if I was lucky.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Holy cow they were so LOW when they released the pitches. Was it slow pitch or fastpitch? I'd like to see the actual speed that they threw from that low to the ground. Almost like they were bowling.
Fastpitch.
Dont know speeds of those in this thread.
However speeds in the 1975's forward were same speeds as now thrown from 3 feet closer. Was windmill and slingshot was on its way out.
Some released very low like that.
Some didnt.

Slingshot was a quick delivery...
Talk about less reaction time!!!

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2016

This legal for girls fastpitch? Similar to "submarine" pitcher in baseball (Quisenberry, Tekulve).

Part 2

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FPVQ23