Ok, me too, tell me what you think of first year 14 year old swings

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
It looks like the girl keeps the back shoulder up and the hands roll a little as a result.

Golf's DD didn't tilt much. Like I said. I would have her move up in the box. I also would have her keep trying to hit the ball to the back and top of the net. Learn what the body needs to do to accomplish this goal. If my DD that is what I would try first....tweak from there.

Dec 11, 2010
39A1FEA5-3D04-440D-922C-233A5412D77D.jpg

The “measure” app on an iPhone can help tell you where well struck balls should ideally be hitting. It’s probably a bit steeper than you might guess

I marked approximately 18-26 degrees launch angles in my low headroom cage. At first I made it a target or goal which I think was a mistake. I now frame it as a tool to help bring awareness of the result of your swing.

In my cage it is closer to the hitter than I prefer. Can’t help it, only have 10’ ceiling.

Last edited:

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
View attachment 13513View attachment 13513

This was a still from the end of summer. More tilt still?
Body tilt would be prior to these pics.

Amount of body tilt is dependent on the height of pitch. Low pitch more body tilt. Higher pitch less body tilt.
miggy_grid.gif

Last edited:

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
View attachment 13512

The “measure” app on an iPhone can help tell you where well struck balls should ideally be hitting. It’s probably a bit steeper than you might guess

I marked approximately 18-26 degrees launch angles in my low headroom cage. At first I made it a target or goal which I think was a mistake. I now frame it as a tool to help bring awareness of the result of your swing.

In my cage it is closer to the hitter than I prefer. Can’t help it, only have 10’ ceiling.

tumblr_pclcfhTX1e1usf292o1_540.gif

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Lost my post. darn it.

Tilt in the approach, lower back shoulder in the approach and not in the setup.

It works the same way in pitching as it does hitting with posture. To throw a drop ball the pitcher remains more upright and weight over the front leg which raises the back shoulder at release. Which results in being over the ball. To throw a rise the pitcher throws behind the front leg which lowers the back shoulder and allows the pitcher to get underneath the ball.

I think her lead arm is a little flat and back shoulder a little high at contact.

Does she hit the ball with low line drives and ground balls? It doesn't mean she does hit the ball lower and just looks like she turns the top over a little early.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Nice clip. Very different though. Young lady leverages her weight shift. Pro uses the ground. Young lady is never in balance. Pro is balanced throughout his sequence. Pro is forward yet back. Young lady coils but doesn’t have the right balance point to begin with. Her hands are pretty good. Her loading sequence is off. This swing isn’t bad at all. It’s just not mlb stuff. It’s not adjustable to change of speed. If she’s just plays high school. Leave her alone. If she’s a travel player, she will need some forward yet back in her swing. Dynamic balance as it’s called. Just my .02 good luck!

Work=wins,

Can you explain your post, start with,

Young lady leverages her weight shift. Pro uses the ground.

I think the young lady is shifting the weight forward in a non stopping motion. Where Edgar shifts as part of getting into the launch position. Her front foot lands earlier then Edgar's, weigh shift vs getting into a position to swing, the front toe/foot is set down by the back side starting (Edgar gets into a launch position).

Anyways, I'll wait for you to comment before we get to detailed.

May 14, 2015
Bismarck ND
Lost my post. darn it.

Tilt in the approach, lower back shoulder in the approach and not in the setup.

It works the same way in pitching as it does hitting with posture. To throw a drop ball the pitcher remains more upright and weight over the front leg which raises the back shoulder at release. Which results in being over the ball. To throw a rise the pitcher throws behind the front leg which lowers the back shoulder and allows the pitcher to get underneath the ball.

I think her lead arm is a little flat and back shoulder he a little high at contact.

Does she hit the ball with low line drives and ground balls? It doesn't mean she does hit the ball lower and just looks like she turns the top over a little early.

No, not many ground balls at all, lots of laser shots and line drives. She has great hands. Most of her OTF's are just line shots, nothing towering.
Game swing- have a few but I am always watching lol
https://youtu.be/SWBIhktYpno

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
So right shoulder a little lower in setup and approach?

No! left shoulder a little lower maybe. Guys I think this hitter is very gifted and barrel finds a spot on the ball just below the equator and say good bye to the ball. Her barrel path is not ideal but like I said before raw talent often beats technique.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802