Offseason Rest

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 14, 2018
It’s been a regular part of DD’s offseason routine to take off between Thanksgiving and New Year’s and not throw at all. Give her arm an extended break for rest and recovery.

This year, due to Covid, she’s pitched a total of 50 innings with two tournaments left (she’ll probably finish around 65). Compared to last year, when she threw 150+ between school, travel, and her last year of Rec, she hasn’t exactly been over-taxed.

How is everyone else approaching the offseason? Trying to figure out some indoor space options for the winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nov 8, 2018
Honestly we’ve been going non stop since June. We will take a break. I haven’t decided how long yet. I do know last year was too long. From November till January. It took too long to get her arm back to shape. So we shall see

Jan 6, 2018
It’s been a regular part of DD’s offseason routine to take off between Thanksgiving and New Year’s and not throw at all. Give her arm an extended break for rest and recovery.

This year, due to Covid, she’s pitched a total of 50 innings with two tournaments left (she’ll probably finish around 65). Compared to last year, when she threw 150+ between school, travel, and her last year of Rec, she hasn’t exactly been over-taxed.

How is everyone else approaching the offseason? Trying to figure out some indoor space options for the winter.

Just like you - less than half the workload with 2 games left. We're going to skip the usual full Nov/Dec break and just take off a few weeks Dec into Jan. Planning a heavy work load starting next week with strength training and lots of reps perfecting her drive mechanics. DD needs to come out in spring stronger than ever if she wants to make varsity as a freshman! She'll take a mini-break to heal/rest up, the start the build up to start throwing 7 innings in March. (fingers crossed)

Jul 14, 2018
I do know last year was too long. From November till January. It took too long to get her arm back to shape. So we shall see

We did eight weeks off last year, and DD came back in January throwing hard. Then Covid hit, and she went March through June just throwing once or twice a week, and mostly just to me on my trusty bucket. That was much worse, her pitching was rocky all summer and still not where she was a year ago.

Jul 2, 2013
Last year we let DD take a couple of months off while playing basketball and then started ramping back up. Then she tore her ACL.

She's not playing basketball any more so this offseason she will be doing strength and conditioning instead. We will take one month off completely from throwing (December) while still continues to work out and then ramp back up to be ready for spring.

Nov 8, 2018
We did eight weeks off last year, and DD came back in January throwing hard. Then Covid hit, and she went March through June just throwing once or twice a week, and mostly just to me on my trusty bucket. That was much worse, her pitching was rocky all summer and still not where she was a year ago.

Amazing how that happens. It was the mental issue of not knowing when they would play I’m sure. Not to mention the whole Covid thing really messed with the kids heads.

Jan 6, 2018

Very similar - DD took a long winter break, ramped up for season, then Covid delay...came out in June up 5 MPH...just starting to control it when Covid shut them down on a Saturday night before going into a Sunday bracket as a #1 seed. After that forfeit it's been a struggle to say the least...one game lights out, the next bombs all over the place. Too much stress in this world for 14/15 year old kids. Now we get to play the start and stop school dance & who know if there will even be a softball season for high school or even when!

I'm putting a full tunnel in my shop and and we'll just keep on truckin' -- going to be a LONG winter.

Jan 6, 2018
Amazing how that happens. It was the mental issue of not knowing when they would play I’m sure. Not to mention the whole Covid thing really messed with the kids heads.

Agreed - they lost so much. I think there's a lot of pressure to be perfect when you're used to 120+ innings and you get 53. That and everything else fun in the world basically taken away. So sad.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28