Officials talking to catcher after game

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 7, 2016
"Normally she is rock solid behind the plate "

3 pass balls n 3 ABs and 8 pass balls total????? At 14u??

Did she forget her glasses? Is your DD the pitcher?

I am calling BS!

DD is NOT the pitcher... and it was a VERY bad game at an even worse time. Coming off a 2-1 pool play, upper brkt first game single elem. Ace pitcher injured from HBP, and we chewed thru 3 pitchers this game. I did make changes on the mound. In hind site i should have made changes behind the plate at the same time. We were running short handed positional wise so I was attempting to make the best of it.

Mar 7, 2016
Only thing that I'm hedging on is you said two things 1) I should have puled my pitcher but didn't 2) it was not pitchers fault.....

My guess sounds like you know pitcher had a hand in this debacle as well but for some reason don't want to throw her under the bus. Now on the other hand I am a HUGE there are a ton of things you have no control over out there but your ATTITUDE and HUSTLE are two things you control regardless of whether or not the team is crumbling around you or not. I have a super low tolerance for lack of hustle and have actually pulled players to the detriment of the team to make the point, I honestly don't care if you are the best player on the team if you aren't gonna hustle you are gonna sit. As far as the officials talking to player I'm not worried about it, as an ump I tried never to say more than good game but sometimes you say extra stuff that really not in your lane but on the whole I wouldn't worry about it, stay confident in your decision to pull her and let her know next game is always a chance for fresh start go out there and show me what you can do...

i should have clarified I did not pull my pitcher that inning, i did make changes in following innings. so my catcher wound up catching 3 girls total.... game went 5 innings, 3 pitchers, 2 catchers. the attitude and hustle are why she was pulled.

Jul 14, 2018
I think most umpires have a soft spot for the catcher doing the grunt work in front of them. He might have gone a little too far in assigning blame to other players, but he probably got a close look at a defeated player (evidenced by not hustling on a passed ball) and was just trying to offer encouragement.

Now, if you have parents approaching you saying: "Even the umpire said it wasn't her fault!", then you have a different set of problems to deal with.

Mar 28, 2014
[QUOTE="SESwildfire, post: 533402, member: 14284"

Now these were not wild pitches by any means, with some not even in the dirt. Mostly change ups and drops. One I did not count was a rise ball that was pitchers fault. So while not technically an error on catch, not an earned run on Pitcher either.
[/QUOTE]
Are you aware that if a pitch touches the dirt or plate and is not stopped by the catcher it is a WILD PITCH? So any balls in the dirt should not be counted against your catcher.

May 6, 2015
[QUOTE="SESwildfire, post: 533402, member: 14284"

Now these were not wild pitches by any means, with some not even in the dirt. Mostly change ups and drops. One I did not count was a rise ball that was pitchers fault. So while not technically an error on catch, not an earned run on Pitcher either.
Are you aware that if a pitch touches the dirt or plate and is not stopped by the catcher it is a WILD PITCH? So any balls in the dirt should not be counted against your catcher.
[/QUOTE]
and neither should any pitch that requires more than ordinary effort by the C to secure :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802