Off-season plyo ball use?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 18, 2015
Does anyone use plyo balls as part of an off-season throwing program?

I've seen a lot of short videos of Wasserman and others using them, but I'm still leary of their use. How are plyo ball workouts different from weighted ball throwing? I've only used plyos for reverse throws. Interested in hearing how others are using them, particularly at the 10U/12U levels.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I always stayed away from weighted balls and would not let coaches use them with DD either.

Wasserman would obviously be different but I am always concerned people are not trained to use the correctly.

Jul 23, 2015
We use them at 12u along with j bands, spinners, etc. If done correctly, they’re a very good tool. We had 0 arm issues last year and saw overhand velo increases prior to COVID derailing our winter sessions.

Dec 11, 2010
Weighted balls:

Baseball: 5-5.25 ounces
Softball: 6.25- 7 ounces
Volleyball: 9.2-9.9 ounces
Football: 14-15 ounces
Soccer ball: 14.8- 15.7 ounces
Basketball: 22 ounces.

I stole this idea from a tweet I can no longer find. Kind of reproduced it from scratch... Weighted balls are all around us. They don’t scare me much.

I bought Wasserman’s plyo ball 4 pack when it was on sale. Light and heavy balls are included.

When dd was a young pitcher she threw under-load softballs a little and I felt it was one of the better things we did. We didn’t do many things right with her pitching training but that was one that I would do again.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2021
Does anyone use plyo balls as part of an off-season throwing program?

I've seen a lot of short videos of Wasserman and others using them, but I'm still leary of their use. How are plyo ball workouts different from weighted ball throwing? I've only used plyos for reverse throws. Interested in hearing how others are using them, particularly at the 10U/12U levels.
My only comment would be to address strengthening both shoulders/rotator cuffs for balance if you have a pitcher. A lot of these early programs were all about underhand VELO and pitching arm but neglected glove side. Early feedback was weakness in glove side shoulder as it was trying to keep up with the whip of the strong arm, causing shoulders to dislocate if they were weak.
My advice, Jband JR, long toss and leg strengthening

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28