Obstruction?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 22, 2008
If a runner is obstructed between 2nd and 3rd and the umpire judges home to be the award, then that is the award if the runner is put out before reaching the plate. Since the obstruction occured between 2nd and 3rd, the between bases section of the rule ended when the runner went past 3rd, but since the umpire judged him to be the base the runner would have reached, the runner is protected to home. If on the other hand the umpire only judged 3rd to be the base the runner would have reached, then once the runner went past 3rd they are no longer between bases and have gone beyond the base the umpire judged to be the award and if the defense put them out the out would stand.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Aug 1, 2019
South Carolina
I'm still looking for the post that states the OBS occurred between 3rd & home

If you’re talking about the USA case play, it says this: “After rounding 3B, R2 is obstructed and starts to return to 3B while F8 is throwing the ball home.”

So she rounded third, and is then obstructed, causing her to return to third. Seems pretty clear to me the obstruction happened between third and home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
If you’re talking about the USA case play, it says this: “After rounding 3B, R2 is obstructed and starts to return to 3B while F8 is throwing the ball home.”

So she rounded third, and is then obstructed, causing her to return to third. Seems pretty clear to me the obstruction happened between third and home.

I must be blind as I cannot find that post. However, I'm referring to any claim that a runner can go beyond the base to which s/he is protected and still enjoy such protection

Jun 22, 2008
As long as they are still between the 2 bases where obstructed, absolutely.

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
scenario questions:

if a Runner is Obstructed:

Scenario A: Obstruction is called. Runner advances to next base but is put out at that next base. In umpire's judgment, she would not have made it to next base if there was no obstruction. Is the Runner out?

I'm a little foggy on this one. Obstruction protects the Runner between bases, but is not an automatic pass to the next base. Outcome here is either a) the Runner is out or b) the Runner is not out and Umpire places her on the previous base. Which is it? I'm thinking she is safe, but placed at the previous base.

Is there any scenario where the Runner can be put out between (or at) the 2 bases where Obstruction was called?

Scenario B: Obstruction is called. Runner advances to next base safely. In umpire's judgment, she would not have made it to next base if there was no obstruction. (maybe there was a fielding/throwing error or something after Obstruction occurred...and prompted by the Runner continuing to advance to the next base) a) Does the Umpire place the Runner back to previous base? or b) Does the Runner get to remain?

I think the Runner may remain on the base she advanced to, because with an Obstruction call the Runner may still advance as far as she wants, but is at risk once she advances further than the umpire judged she would? If she risks it, and is safe, then she remains where she advanced to. Is this correct?

Is there any scenario where an Obstructed Runner advances safely, but further than the Umpire judged she would, and the Umpire would place her at a previous base?

Scenario C: Obstruction is called. Runner advances to next base safely and stops. In umpire's judgment, she would have made it TWO bases if there was no obstruction. a) Does the Runner remain safely at the base she advanced to? or b) Or does the Umpire award her another base, becasue in his/her judgement that is where she should have advanced to?

In an actual game, I think the Runner will remain on the base she advanced to, even though the Umpire has discretion to place the Runner where he/she thinks she should be with an obstruction call.

Is there any scenario where an Obstructed Runner stops advancing at the next base from where obstruction was called, and the Umpire will still award her an additional base if warranted?

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2008
Scenario A, no the runner cannot be out between the 2 bases where the obstruction occured unless one of the exceptions is met. Barring the runner committing interference, the only way the obstruction can be cancelled between the 2 bases is the runner must reach the base the umpire judges she would have AND there must then be a subsequent play on a different runner. Until both of those conditions are met in you situation A the runner would be returned to 1st.

Your situation B, no you would never move a runner back to a previous base who had safely advanced beyond the base you judged they would have reached.

Aug 1, 2019
South Carolina
I must be blind as I cannot find that post. However, I'm referring to any claim that a runner can go beyond the base to which s/he is protected and still enjoy such protection
Okay, I'm confused by your statement.

If a runner is protected between first and second because that's where the obstruction took place, and the umpire judges she wouldn't have made second base on the play had there been no obstruction, but she tries for second anyway and she's tagged out, she still has her protection. The ruling is to call Time and return her to first base. Only if the defense plays on another runner before she takes off for second does she lose that protection. That's what this whole discussion is all about.

But if you mean by saying the runner goes "beyond the base to which s/he is protected", this runner tries for second and then goes to third base, no, she has no protection going to third, or returning to second for that matter. Once she safely achieved second and advanced toward third, her between-base protection of first and second goes away.

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
Scenario A, no the runner cannot be out between the 2 bases where the obstruction occured unless one of the exceptions is met.

so, the moral of the story is:
if the Runner realizes Obstruction has been called (more often than not, this is not the case...)
, it is in her best interest to advance to the next base.
She will either be safe there, or she will be safe at the previous base,
but cannot be put out between or at, either of those bases. (unless specific conditions have been met, as stated)

Last edited:

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
But if you mean by saying the runner goes "beyond the base to which s/he is protected", this runner tries for second and then goes to third base, no, she has no protection going to third

Which is what I posted and have held since the beginning.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
The only problem with this rule isn't any part of the rule itself. The issue is when someone makes coaching decisions base upon the OBS call instead of how the play is actually occurring on the field in front of them

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eb7598