Obstruction or Interference- where do the runners go?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 14, 2017
Michigan
I have an idea, but I can't convince myself I'm right, so I'll open this to the forum.
NFHS RULES.
Bases loaded less than 2 out
Grounder to second base
2B misplays the ball, and it gets by her-NEAR THE OUTFIELD GRASS NOT WITHIN HER REACH
Runner going from first to second runs over 2b who's still down low from attempting to field the grounder. This causes the runner to be upended and she is laying on her stomach between the bases.

So do you rule A. obstruction, B. interference, or C. nothing. If A or B where do you put the runners?

Last edited:
May 16, 2012
Missouri
Depends on sanction but, I would say A. In NFHS, if the misplayed ball is within a "step and reach" you could possibly have interference.

Apr 17, 2012
Wi
Youll have to give us scenarios of where the ball went. In USA thats obs. In most others if the ball went further than step and reach its obs.

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

Jul 3, 2013
A. Delayed dead ball. Let the play finish. If the runner from first is put out, place her where she would have ended up if she hadn't been obstructed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
Going strictly by your description of the result of the contact between the two players, C is not an option.

I envision "2B misplays the ball, and it gets by her" as the ball now rolling into right field well past F4. If this is the case, I have Obstruction in all rule sets. More than likely, I'm only protecting the runner from first to second base.

Under NFHS rules, if the ball is still within a step and a reach in any direction including behind the fielder, I have interference, the ball is dead, the runner is declared out, the Batter-Runner is awarded first base and any other runners return to the last base touched at the time of the interference. Most likely that is second and third, but there is the possibility that with fast runners or a slow rolling ground ball that one or both of those runners could have reached the next base before the interference.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802