Obstruction or interference or play on?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 22, 2016
R1 at second base. B1 hits a ground ball toward the ss. R1 takes off to 3rd base, as SS is moving to attempt to make a play on the ball, she jumps over the ball ( never touched the ball or the fielder ).
Opposing coach wanted to get interference. Umpire called obstruction.
Help!!
What would be the correct ruling on the play ?

May 24, 2013
So Cal
The fielder has the right of way when fielding a batted ball. If the fielder's actions to field the batted ball are hindered by the runner (contact is not necessary), it is interference.

If the runner's progress is impeded (again, contact is not necessary) by a fielder not in possession of the ball, or not in the act of fielding a batted ball, it is obstruction.

As for your play, I would have to see it to make a call.

Nov 22, 2016
The fielder has the right of way when fielding a batted ball. If the fielder's actions to field the batted ball are hindered by the runner (contact is not necessary), it is interference.

If the runner's progress is impeded (again, contact is not necessary) by a fielder not in possession of the ball, or not in the act of fielding a batted ball, it is obstruction.

As for your play, I would have to see it to make a call.

So could you say there may have been a chance where both of your scenarios happened a there would be a no call and play on?

Jan 27, 2019
Initial play on the batted ball, no obstruction will be called if the player had any shot at all at a play on the softball, and it sounds like she did. The fielder has the right to the play and the runner the responsibility not to interfere with her initial play. If, in the umpire's judgment, R1 interferes, it's an immediate dead ball, R1 is out. If she did not interfere then we play on. But obstruction isn't the call.

May 29, 2015
These plays are always tough and you really need to see it happen.

That said, I can’t fathom an obstruction call the way you describe it. If the SS was set up in the base path just waiting on the ball, yes you could have obstruction. But you said the runner jumped over the ball, so I can’t picture the SS being in the basepath waiting.

Interference is a possibility, but you really need to see what the runner did. I’ve both seen and made this call many times: the runner delays or stutter-steps in order to time arriving at the ball and then jumps it to deliberately interfere with the fielder. Dead ball, out. If the runner was in stride and legitimate when she jumped, you may not have anything.

Jan 27, 2019
If the SS was set up in the base path just waiting on the ball, yes you could have obstruction.

Not if she's waiting to make the initial play on a batted ball. She can pitch a tent and place a mailbox there. If she has an opportunity to make the initial play on the ball she can stand there like a stone. The runner has the responsibility to avoid interfering with her. Ball hit to the SS, the SS will not be called for obstruction before she contacts the ball. And even longer, the whole step and reach thing, in NFHS

May 29, 2015
Not if she's waiting to make the initial play on a batted ball. She can pitch a tent and place a mailbox there. If she has an opportunity to make the initial play on the ball she can stand there like a stone. The runner has the responsibility to avoid interfering with her. Ball hit to the SS, the SS will not be called for obstruction before she contacts the ball. And even longer, the whole step and reach thing, in NFHS

Yes, the way you describe it. I was envisioning a slow dribbler that the fielder would need to charge in order to have a shot at a play, not a ball that is definitely going to get to her in time to make a play.

Feb 3, 2011
Not a lot to go on here, but it sounds like the fielder was not interfered with? Based on the limited information you have provided, I cannot envision any kind of obstruction call. If the fielder was not impeded on her way to field the ball, there's no INT either.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802