Nunthia vs. Boardmember Smackdown 2020

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 20, 2012
Carter, feel free to search this thread for Nunthia1914’s opening and continued comments regarding I/R and the methodology I’ve laid out for learning to throw a softball underhanded and ultimately the pitching motion itself.

He opens with, and continues to say, “this is wrong. “you are teaching it wrong”. “You don’t know what your doing.”

So I don’t think we are talking past each other. With that said, I’ve shown him numerous times in this thread that what he thinks happens doesn’t, and what he thinks doesn’t happen actually does.

What I’ve done, both here and in my original I/R thread, is to first teach people to understand and recognize the proper method that occurs in high level mechanics, but also give them a path here in this thread to accomplish it.

What Nunthia is basically saying is “this method, and you, are wrong” vs. “Here’s a way to accomplish the same thing”.

So again no, we are not just talking past each other.

Bottom line is we here at DPF know how much this information has helped thousands of students, parents and even teachers further the goal. Heck, honestly, some of the most respected pitching coaches in the sport have adopted, refined, better understood, and/or even just begun speaking more correctly about the fast pitch motion based on the two I/R threads I’ve posted here.

So when someone starts posting about how wrong this is, basically telling people not to follow the principles laid out here, they need to be called out with facts supporting the information.

Peace bro!
Carter, feel free to search this thread for Nunthia1914’s opening and continued comments regarding I/R and the methodology I’ve laid out for learning to throw a softball underhanded and ultimately the pitching motion itself.

He opens with, and continues to say, “this is wrong. “you are teaching it wrong”. “You don’t know what your doing.”

So I don’t think we are talking past each other. With that said, I’ve shown him numerous times in this thread that what he thinks happens doesn’t, and what he thinks doesn’t happen actually does.

What I’ve done, both here and in my original I/R thread, is to first teach people to understand and recognize the proper method that occurs in high level mechanics, but also give them a path here in this thread to accomplish it.

What Nunthia is basically saying is “this method, and you, are wrong” vs. “Here’s a way to accomplish the same thing”.

So again no, we are not just talking past each other.

Bottom line is we here at DPF know how much this information has helped thousands of students, parents and even teachers further the goal. Heck, honestly, some of the most respected pitching coaches in the sport have adopted, refined, better understood, and/or even just begun speaking more correctly about the fast pitch motion based on the two I/R threads I’ve posted here.

So when someone starts posting about how wrong this is, basically telling people not to follow the principles laid out here, they need to be called out with facts supporting the information.

Peace bro!
Mr. Board Member I stand by what i say and I have the backing of some men world class pitchers who will affirm what I say. My opinion is as a pitching coach of 31 years now that a pitcher should now turn the hand and arm over like U do. The I/R will happen automatically U don't have for force it. The two videos you have posted mispresent me the way I actually pitch so if i get a chance to post myself and NOT U then I will show the videos of how I do it and U can then criticize all U want. One of the video's is me thowing a rise without using my wrist and the other is a domo on how not to do it. All the best JJ

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2014
Mr. Board Member I stand by what i say and I have the backing of some men world class pitchers who will affirm what I say. My opinion is as a pitching coach of 31 years now that a pitcher should now turn the hand and arm over like U do. The I/R will happen automatically U don't have for force it. The two videos you have posted mispresent me the way I actually pitch so if i get a chance to post myself and NOT U then I will show the videos of how I do it and U can then criticize all U want. One of the video's is me thowing a rise without using my wrist and the other is a domo on how not to do it. All the best JJ
First off you have to follow the thread Boardmember was not the one who posted your video so please don't get upset at him. I think the problem is simply not having an open mind to actually watch what happens when high level pitchers pitch (yourself included), no matter what the age you have to be willing to learn. Look at Jennie Finch, an idol for many young girls and one of the most accomplished players in the game, if you go to her clinic she will teach and describe to you how to pitch. Now if you observe her actually pitching she DOES NOT pitch like she teaches. Then take someone like Amanda Scarborough she did similar things but she actually studied mechanics, her mechanics, and had an open mind and began to really dissect what she was doing that made her successful and changed her teaching accordingly to match what she was really doing. Hitters, even MLB hitter, do the same thing they will teach you something but then when you analyze their swing they don't actually do what they teach.

This is why I made my comment about cues, a lot of times people use something because it is a cue they use in their mind to get their body to do something but it does not mean that is what they are actually doing.

Anyway I'll bow out and let you guys discuss more...just always my nature I guess to find a middle ground or at least focus on what we can agree on.

Feb 20, 2012
Would love to know myself @BoardMember ?
I was taught by 4 world class pitchers including Eddie Feigner himself and Dave Pierce the Canadian Olympic team coach who won 2 gold and one silver in the Pan Am Games. You are right I have a lot to learn and that I am doing all the time. but I have a right to disagree with anyone who post a video of themselves snapping the ball as s demo. That is not the way Jennie Finch, Lisa Fernandez or Eddie Feigner snaps and has follow through. In my opinion Board Member is right about I/R but he makes a big deal out of trying to promote an a factor in the pitching mechanics that really don't have to be taught and when he demonstrates that he rolls his hand over early and arm and that to me is not right. So I did actually get with a World Class pitcher name Mike Andrews from Terre Haute who was at one time clocked at 93 playing for Shelbyville Sting and he also agrees with me so I am not alone. I ask you that I have a video of me throwing a drop ball on youtube so I would like to post then anyone who wants can criticize me. I am always open to what I can do better.
First off you have to follow the thread Boardmember was not the one who posted your video so please don't get upset at him. I think the problem is simply not having an open mind to actually watch what happens when high level pitchers pitch (yourself included), no matter what the age you have to be willing to learn. Look at Jennie Finch, an idol for many young girls and one of the most accomplished players in the game, if you go to her clinic she will teach and describe to you how to pitch. Now if you observe her actually pitching she DOES NOT pitch like she teaches. Then take someone like Amanda Scarborough she did similar things but she actually studied mechanics, her mechanics, and had an open mind and began to really dissect what she was doing that made her successful and changed her teaching accordingly to match what she was really doing. Hitters, even MLB hitter, do the same thing they will teach you something but then when you analyze their swing they don't actually do what they teach.

This is why I made my comment about cues, a lot of times people use something because it is a cue they use in their mind to get their body to do something but it does not mean that is what they are actually doing.

Anyway I'll bow out and let you guys discuss more...just always my nature I guess to find a middle ground or at least focus on what we can agree on.

Sep 29, 2014
Thanks....my dad actually played fastpitch when he was in the military in Germany and Eddie came over for a goodwill type tour and he actually got to face him one of the fun stroies he used to tell was hitting the ball off him, not a getting a hit mind your just putting it in play...my Dad was quite the ballplayer was actually recruited by minor league Yankees scout but he didn't realize he was only playing ball on the weekends because he was in the Army at the time. Hopefully you can get a video up soon. Although now it sound like we are just discussing if something is a "no teach" or not, which is a lot different than being wrong. I have actually seen cases with pitcher where I have never had to teach that to anyone but they are just doing something I've never seen before and the only way to break the habit is to point it out and work on correcting it. Lot of people think the back heel up is a no teach but if I just cant get a girl to stop dragging her back heel at release I teach it.

BLB

May 19, 2008
I was taught by 4 world class pitchers including Eddie Feigner himself and Dave Pierce the Canadian Olympic team coach who won 2 gold and one silver in the Pan Am Games. You are right I have a lot to learn and that I am doing all the time. but I have a right to disagree with anyone who post a video of themselves snapping the ball as s demo. That is not the way Jennie Finch, Lisa Fernandez or Eddie Feigner snaps and has follow through. In my opinion Board Member is right about I/R but he makes a big deal out of trying to promote an a factor in the pitching mechanics that really don't have to be taught and when he demonstrates that he rolls his hand over early and arm and that to me is not right. So I did actually get with a World Class pitcher name Mike Andrews from Terre Haute who was at one time clocked at 93 playing for Shelbyville Sting and he also agrees with me so I am not alone. I ask you that I have a video of me throwing a drop ball on youtube so I would like to post then anyone who wants can criticize me. I am always open to what I can do better.
With all due respect...I have a few questions and comments. What Olympic team did Dave Pearse coach may I ask? I have his books. I am well educated in what he teaches. He doesn't really understand what is needed to create arm whip. Also, he doesn't understand how the hips are involved in the pitching motion. There's more but this is getting too long already. One of his top pitchers (world elite pitcher from the 80s) told me he wouldn't pay 10 cents for anything Pearse has written about pitching. As for reaching 93mph? What kind of car was that pitcher driving? Was he stopped for speeding? I have clocked a significant number of world class pitchers since the 90s and have yet clock anyone above 84mph and that's extremely rare. These include top male pitchers pitching for their country including Canada, New Zealand, Australia. One of the hardest throwers I have seen was Stan Kern from BC. I'm not sure if he threw a bit harder than guys like Adam Folkard. As for Eddie Feigner. I played against him...4-4 tie. I had a 2 hour conversation with him after the game. I have one of his instructional books. Hardly anything about pitching mechanics. As for speed, he certainly didn't throw anywhere near 90mph. And that's OK. We had a great deal of fun playing against him. He had some very kind words to say about our team. As for the number of years being an instructional pitcher, I've been teaching pitching for over 45 years. Does that mean I'm automatically a good instructor? No. As for what Boardmember teaches. I've been teaching the same thing for all these years. This pushing the ball into release and hello elbow was something very new to me when I first heard about it. I immediately thought what a bunch of crap. This is what they teach in my area although my pitchers are a lot better. Go figure. When I try to tell them they have major flaws in the mechanics they teach, they don't want to hear about it. I don't know what you teach but I certainly know that Boardmember knows what he's talking about.

Jul 14, 2008
Mr. Feld, I’ll give you one more chance to see the truth, vs. what you made up in your head because your eyes can’t possibly see what is actually happening in a high level delivery.

Im not willing to spend a lot of time with you because you have ZERO desire to learn, and would rather just throw up all over a very important thread and brag about yourself.

Now pay attention my friend and watch this clip carefully. It is frozen after the ball is long gone. See if this clip helps you understand that what you believe I’m doing when I speak about I/R doesn’t match what you THINK I’m doing, because you can’t really tell. You are guessing with your eyes, instead of studying with you brains.

EC05B994-50D0-482A-B247-C5647F830B42.gif

I’ll give you a hint. The ball is LONG GONE before my arm/hand begin to complete the internal rotation sequence of energy dissipation that you see as a “forced turn over”. Trust me, I’m not “forcing” anything. I’m just staying relaxed and letting my arm and hand do what they want AFTER the ball is LONG GONE.

I’m willing to bet you all the change in your pocket that your delivery looks EXACTLY like mine at this point. After the ball is gone you can stick your finger up your nose for all I care, or you can let it do what it wants, and watch it turn over to dissipate energy and direct the ball where you want it to end up.

This is all the time I have for you until you start asking more questions then you do bragging about yourself. I’m not impressed.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2012
USA
@Nunthia1914 I would love to have you contribute to this board as everyone is always open. But I struggle with the hit on this thread which has helped so many and while trying very hard to keep an open mind. I have already mentioned the "forearm fire" thing completely lost my interest and I could explain more as to why that is but the following shoots down all your credibility.

93 MPH, 93 MPH, 93 MPH...........REALLY??? I will take this all back, buy you a steak dinner, etc. etc. but Mike Andrews never threw 93 mph unless it was overhand. If he did then prove it but so far all this has been alot of talk with nothing to back it up. I have video and thus can prove that one of the fastest MEN in Japan threw 125 Kilometers per Hour which equates to 77 MPH. I am sure he wasn't or isn't that fastest ever but it is caught on video. Point being, to get to 93 mph, you have to be overhand or as said above, in a car. It just hasn't happened. Maybe someday it will but not anytime soon. Again, just a loss of credibility for me. I am sorry.

I and others are truely open and I am trying really hard not to attempt to shut you down but to rather have you lend some knowledge here but......as Miley Cyrus once sang.....You came in like a wrecking ball. You called @BoardMember baby ugly, all this before you ever said hello, I am happy to be here. To that, I say, COME ON MAN?

S3

Jul 14, 2008
That is not the way Jennie Finch, Lisa Fernandez or Eddie Feigner snaps and has follow through

Really? Dude, I've already shown you palm down follow through from both Feigner and Fernandez. Here is Finch. You need to stop talking about things you know nothing about.

ED45467E-66F2-4496-9EEB-970B610F982F.gif

Now go start your own thread if you want to brag about how great and smart you are and how many people you know.

Trust me, I could name drop with the best. Hell Rich Balswick taught me to pitch when I was 18. Ask him. And we are still friends. I coached against and know Chuck D’Arcy at the youth level. One of my very good friends is Ray Alena, another hall of fame inductee. I coached high school with some sap named Mike Thomas for many years. I could go on and on. So just stop with the BS bragging ok? No one cares dude.

This thread is not about me, it's about kids and coaches trying to improve their understanding of REAL fastpitch delivery mechanics.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2018
You guys are still at it with this dude. Just let it go. Back to what we do best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28