Number of tournaments per month? roster size?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 28, 2014
3x and 7hrs a week for a 16u team?!? Holy cow. That seems....ummm...excessive. Tell me all these players are from the same town?
3 times a week for a total of 7 hours is excessive? We practice 2 days per week 1 Day hitting 2 hours then Sunday we go from 8am till 2:30pm. Last 2 hours is scrimmage. Many of the girls also go to Saturdays open practice which runs from 8am till noon. Winter is when the work gets done.

Apr 20, 2015
Some teams feel they need to do everything as a team. Others expect you to work on your own. My daughter's national team practices together 3 hours a week. Kids come from as far as 9 hrs away for a 3 hr practice. On her own she currently does 3 additional hours of hitting, 4 hours of pre season high school practice and 3 hours of weight lifting/fitness a week so....10 hrs of strictly softball and 3 hrs of fitness. We prefer this approach because it allows us to schedule her extra training around her other activities. For example during basketball and soccer season she only hits once a week, goes to team practice, no high school sessions and does something to balance fitness usually weights since theirs plenty of conditioning in basketball and soccer. Shes also a straight A student and spends time with friends and a "boyfriend" grrr...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

May 21, 2015
South
I believe in never playing 3 weekends in a row. I also believe players benefit from breaks of at least 6 weeks. This break involves no softball. It's a good time to really focus on strength and conditioning. It always seemed that my dd got better during the breaks, and it kept the fire hot.

Jul 14, 2018
14U mixed first and second year players, 12 on roster. Team practices twice a week, two hours each practice. DD does two hours of lessons each week, plus two 45-minute workouts and two more days of throwing. Saturdays are an off day.

Team played 4 tournaments in the fall, DD guested for another. Eight tournaments scheduled for the spring, seven local and one national starting mid April and ending late July. Middle School ball will run April through mid June if it actually happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jan 24, 2020
16U Mixed (14-just turned 17), 13 on roster. 1 Weekday practice (2 hrs: Hitting), weekends are either Practice (3 hrs: 1/2 fielding 1/2 hitting) or Friendlies both days. Not traveling until after HS season, no tournaments in local area (SoCal). Good news is friendlies are typically against top competition because not everyone can afford to travel out of state every weekend although some local orgs do.

Feb 15, 2017
All are in the KC metro area, probably no more than 30-45 minutes from the facility

That makes more sense. No team DD has ever played for could have worked out as a group 3 times a week. Some players coming from 3-4 hours one way, many 90 mins one way. Most non-rec 16u teams I am familiar with do 1 3-4hr team practice a week and then the girls work on their own for individual position and hitting work. Guess its a whole big world out there but I don’t think we would allow DD to be on a team with 3x a week team practice. No way would that allow time for individual pitching/hitting instructors.

KC metro has some real quality ballplayers and teams. I can see maybe in an area like that how you could have a group that could do that.

May 4, 2016
That makes more sense. No team DD has ever played for could have worked out as a group 3 times a week. Some players coming from 3-4 hours one way, many 90 mins one way. Most non-rec 16u teams I am familiar with do 1 3-4hr team practice a week and then the girls work on their own for individual position and hitting work. Guess its a whole big world out there but I don’t think we would allow DD to be on a team with 3x a week team practice. No way would that allow time for individual pitching/hitting instructors.

KC metro has some real quality ballplayers and teams. I can see maybe in an area like that how you could have a group that could do that.

The time is broken up Tuesday 1 hr hitting, Thursday 1 hr fielding, Sat 1 hr hitting, 1 hr position work. Each practice also has 1 hr conditioning. Both the hitting and position work has individualized instruction from the same person we were taking lessons from, so no extra individual instruction anymore. Don’t know if this is the best way but I do know DD has never worked harder or been more excited about practice than she is now.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802