Number of players on a team

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
As I undoubtedly learned here at DFP, I'm a big fan of this system. Certainly at the younger ages.

So many problems occur with a 10U team with 12 girls on it. Parents griping about playing time, girls don't get enough reps/at bats in games, parents griping about playing time, parents griping about playing time and parents griping about playing time.

At the younger ages, girls simply don't miss games. Fewer injuries, fewer conflicts, etc. I love having a lean team.

Regardless of age, if you've got more than 11-12 on game day, playing time starts to become a problem.

Unless you're that team that everyone wants to be on no matter what, the capable players who aren't getting enough work will eventually leave for a team that will play them more.

May 21, 2015
South
As many have said, 11 is the right number for the younger age groups. Adding a few more in the older teams (14U-18U) is advisable. As a coach, I always believed it was easier to pick up a girl or two for a weekend than deal with a disgruntled parent over playing time. Pick up girls often join the team for the next season if the chemistry is right. However, pick up girls can create a different set of problems.

NBECoach

Learning everyday
Aug 9, 2018
some say match the number of players to the age division, ie....12 players in 12u, 14 players in 14u, etc...

But I really don't see the need to ever have 16 or 18 players on a roster. IMO 11 or 12 players is the right number at 12 and 14u while 13 or 14 players is the right number at 16 and 18u.

Agree with most of these numbers. As the players age they have jobs, boyfriends, etc. and have outside interests. The last U18 team I coached had to roster 15 in order to get 12

Mar 28, 2020
It depends.

As a parents, I say 9 on a team is perfect. ;) Maybe 10 long as the 10th doesn't play DD's position.

Not a coach, but if I were, I would think as many as it takes to win.

Seriously, 14U and under I think the 11-13 is about right. Just left a team (12U) with 13 and it was pushing it with playing time. The coach has to not have favorites and share the time. No experience with older teams....yet.
I agree from a parents point of view.......I am not spending money for her to cheer on the team....

As a coach depends on the level. If you are a high competitive travel team you will need to carry extra girls to cover -- when things happen.... I have seen teams that have an A & B team that don't play on the same weekends so there are always extra girls when the A team is short

Jan 29, 2019
Clemmons, NC
We are going with 13 this spring. Normally we carried 11 but if injuries or other circumstances came up with any players we would run thin on tournament days. We are a highly competitive 12U team and will be traveling a bit more this year so that may/could play into the player numbers game.

I appreciate all the feedback and seeing the different thought processes people have - especially between coach and parent because as we all know, sometimes thoughts of a coach and parent are different ;)

Oct 10, 2018
If you have to roster 14, 16, 18 girls to make sure you have enough for game day you have a commitment problem. I would never let DD play on a team that rosters more than 12/13. Her team rosters 12 and it's perfect. JMHO

Jan 29, 2019
Clemmons, NC
If you have to roster 14, 16, 18 girls to make sure you have enough for game day you have a commitment problem. I would never let DD play on a team that rosters more than 12/13. Her team rosters 12 and it's perfect. JMHO
We certainly don't have a commitment problem as we always have enough girls. 13 is what we are going with for the spring, up from 11. I agree, no reason for my DD to play on a team with 14+ girls at this age.

May 27, 2013

So at 18U you wouldn’t let players go to college camps, college visits, take their SATs, or allow seniors to go to their proms or graduation? Not being snarky - just an honest question.

These are all examples of events that occur all on the same dates for most players, so if you have 5 seniors on your 18U team you could potentially be down to 7 players with a roster of 12 on some weekends.

Apr 28, 2014
If your DD had the skills and chance to play on a top 25 team in the nation, playing the best of the best with a chance to compete to win PGF you wouldn't place her on a team with 16-18 players?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
re.todd22