NPF issues

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 3, 2018
They say the same thing about the wnba and all of the commissioners that league has had. It's impossible to sell a product nobody wants and MLB is not going to subsidize npf the way the NBA has subsidized the wnba

Nov 18, 2013
When women’s sports are televised, people watch. NCAA Softball often gets better ratings than NCAA Baseball, NCAA Hockey and even NHL Hockey. The NCAA women’s basketball tourney gets even better ratings. There’s clearly an audience, but turn on ESPN and we get Cornhole instead of women’s sports.

The MN Lynx draw good crowds, but get little coverage. Lindsey Whalen is wildly popular here. Her Gophers are 12-1, ranked, and hardy ever on TV. They drew almost 8,000 fans their last home game so it’s not lacking interest. Legally women have equal rights. Culturally we have a long way to go.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
When women’s sports are televised, people watch. NCAA Softball often gets better ratings than NCAA Baseball, NCAA Hockey and even NHL Hockey. The NCAA women’s basketball tourney gets even better ratings. There’s clearly an audience, but turn on ESPN and we get Cornhole instead of women’s sports.

The MN Lynx draw good crowds, but get little coverage. Lindsey Whalen is wildly popular here. Her Gophers are 12-1, ranked, and hardy ever on TV. They drew almost 8,000 fans their last home game so it’s not lacking interest. Legally women have equal rights. Culturally we have a long way to go.

Which gets us back to the original point in this whole thing: How can we expect the NPF to succeed when nobody knows it exists? And nobody knows it exists primarily because everybody running the league is incompetent.

May 3, 2018
I've often thought that these games should be televised on Lifetime. They say they're television for women, I'd like to see them branch out into sports. Probably a pipe dream.

Apr 16, 2013
I've often thought that these games should be televised on Lifetime. They say they're television for women, I'd like to see them branch out into sports. Probably a pipe dream.

Most definitely. The crowd that watches the Golden Girls isn't the crowd that'd watch NPF. :D

Mar 23, 2014
SoCal
I’d love to see more women owned businesses and women focused business/products support women’s sports overall. But spare me the lifetime channel......

I’m going to send Cheri the link to this thread..... maybe we can all “help” her figure it out.

I love that the Pride went to Europe to play games and grow the game and knowledge of the European teams. However, we need to grow the National game here.

Sep 3, 2018

They did that with either wnba or wps, it didn't do well.

Sep 3, 2018

The 2018 women's college world series, that had the Seattle TV market and involved teams from Florida and Washington had 1.5 million viewers.

The 2018 College World Series that had media mega centers Corvalis and Fayetteville, Oregon and Arkansas involved had a 3 game average of 1.9 million viewers and had a peak of over 3.1 million viewers

My math may be off a bit but both 1.9 and 3.1 are larger numbers than 1.5 last I checked.

Linky's
Women's College World Series Ratings Down in '18 - Sports Media Watch

https://www.collegebaseballdaily.com/2018/06/30/2018-cws-tv-ratings-highest-since-2012/

But let's not those pesky facts get in the way, right?

Oh yeah, game 5 of the 2018 Stanley Cup Finals had 6.7 million viewers

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802