Notable changes over 20-minutes.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
"Do you turn the barrel behind you for speed?" IMO, bat/barrel speed is created by the combination of upper and lower body actions. It is not simply from TTB, although that is a part of it. If the barrel is not accelerating as soon as you launch, you are toast.

"Or turn the knob to the sky for adjustments?" I don't even know what that means. I have heard some HI/HLP followers talk about turning the knob to the sky, but more so in the context of a feel/exaggeration, that isn't to be taken literally. The talk revolves more around a 12/6 barrel path that tilts depending on pitch location. The fact that this "clockface" tilts automatically implies that "to the sky" is an over exaggeration.

Thanks FP! agreed! It is NOT the launch, but must be accelerating at swing launch.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Work=wins,

I'm not saying the "hands" turn the barrel in TTB mechanics. I think it's a matter of setting the hands up as a deep rotational point which includes the rear hip as the axis of rotation.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Thanks FP! agreed! It is NOT the launch, but must be accelerating at swing launch.

This is what confuses me. These items we are discussing are key parts of rear-legged hitting and TTB. You are agreeing with me, yet you seem to have an issue with both concepts.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
IMO the Ortiz video is a good (almost extreme) example of initial hand torque..there are a number frames where the barrel is moving rearward with little to no forward movement of the hands. But if I am understanding your opinion, you will say that is a reaction to body movement and not due to anything the hands are doing on the handle. Correct?

Not sure what torque you mean? He’s not twisting his hands at the beginning of his sequence. Sure the barrel goes rearward to create lag or a loaded barrel . It’s not his launch. Swing launch is when the hands come forward.

When you throw do you create torque with your hand? How about when you crack a towel? Or does the elbow/wrist create lag? I personally don’t torque anything. Maybe I’m not understanding your definition of torque? You science guys geez. :)

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
This is what confuses me. These items we are discussing are key parts of rear-legged hitting and TTB. You are agreeing with me, yet you seem to have an issue with both concepts.
Lol. The muscles groups used with HI use half the body and create false forces in the swing imo. Such as HIp coil and turn the barrel. His 2 main engines are used incorrectly.

I want the core in charge of the first engine not the back leg. I want the hands to whip the barrel not turn behind me. That’s it in a nutshell.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Barrel whip.. Cause or effect ? Is there anyone other then AJ, Happ, or Kingery that focuses on turning the barrel ?

xa4sV6S.gif

Jun 8, 2016
Barrel whip.. Cause or effect ? Is there anyone other then AJ, Happ, or Kingery that focuses on turning the barrel ?

xa4sV6S.gif
Just because they are focusing on it doesn't mean they are not doing it..

May 3, 2014
The forearm muscles are ultimately what turn the hands. Impossible for the body to whip the barrel without the forearms turning the barrel first.

Judge adjusts to a "hanger" but that doesn't count as being able to hit more than one pitch at a time. Ok got it. Cherry Picking at its finest.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812