Notable changes over 20-minutes.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
In your mind it is. Majority here it is not. They want the TM TTB.

Nobody is saying we don’t want direction deep(TTB) But it’s the body pulling the hands forward. Not a bat flipped rearward. TTB is a reaction.

Question: do the hands come forward after the barrel is sent back? Wouldn’t that be hands to the ball(in laymens terms)???? Hmmm.

All Antonella did was say what he saw on video.. um so what. Yes we know speed is captured deep. By the body loading the hands and the hands coming forward and loading the barrel. It’s hands to ball. It’s not turn it behind or to the sky. Right? It’s a reaction.

I'm curious who is disagreeing with the bold above. Several people have mentioned "hit the ball with your rear hip". There is a 'syncing' that occurs between the two engines. "Hit the ball with your rear hip" sets the direction, and the hands follow that direction, i.e. hand path... As I have mentioned before, I am not an expert in the HI stuff, but I have read numerous times that his philosophy also utilizes two engines and that it requires a syncing between the two. You seem to be focused specifically on his description of the hand pivot point, but you are totally missing the rear hip pivot point and the combination of the two. It isn't just about TTB, but using TTB in conjunction with the other engine. At least that's my understanding of it.

As I have stated before, if all you want to do is attack one person or methodology, that is your choice. But misrepresenting the philosophy in the process seems insincere to me. If you want to talk hitting, I would be glad to participate. But if all this is going to be is a bitch session about one person or theory, I am really not interested. Thanks for the discussion.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
I'm curious who is disagreeing with the bold above. Several people have mentioned "hit the ball with your rear hip". There is a 'syncing' that occurs between the two engines. "Hit the ball with your rear hip" sets the direction, and the hands follow that direction, i.e. hand path... As I have mentioned before, I am not an expert in the HI stuff, but I have read numerous times that his philosophy also utilizes two engines and that it requires a syncing between the two. You seem to be focused specifically on his description of the hand pivot point, but you are totally missing the rear hip pivot point and the combination of the two. It isn't just about TTB, but using TTB in conjunction with the other engine. At least that's my understanding of it.

As I have stated before, if all you want to do is attack one person or methodology, that is your choice. But misrepresenting the philosophy in the process seems insincere to me. If you want to talk hitting, I would be glad to participate. But if all this is going to be is a bitch session about one person or theory, I am really not interested. Thanks for the discussion.

Thanks FP. The question remains.. do you turn the barrel behind you for speed? Or turn the knob to the sky for adjustments?

I know these are tough questions :) but I am discussing how the barrel gets turned and simply disagreeing with one gurus theory. If it were SB or Epstein... my dialogue would be the same. No one is bitching.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Work=wins,

Have you ever seen Mankin's videos/DVD's? He calls what you suggest as linear. He defines linear and rotational (circular) as the hand path. If the hands are brought forward in a straight line (a to b) then the hand path is linear. If the hands stay back and wait for rotation to bring them forward, then more then likely it will end up as a circular hand path.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Folks that have never gotten into a leveraged fyb position have probably never felt how the hands get pulled (whipped) by the obliques contracting.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Work=wins,

Have you ever seen Mankin's videos/DVD's? He calls what you suggest as linear. He defines linear and rotational (circular) as the hand path. If the hands are brought forward in a straight line (a to b) then the hand path is linear. If the hands stay back and wait for rotation to bring them forward, then more then likely it will end up as a circular hand path.
Never seen Mankin... but I would describe the hand path as rotational to linear. Yes the hand path can curve a bit on certain pitch locations. No one is disputing that.

I want to know if you or anyone else thinks that bat speed is found by turning the barrel behind you really fast to create early bat speed? Or is it a pulling core with a rotational to linear hand path that creates bat speed? Also know as bat lag. Aka barrel load.

Would this be a circular hand path?

Hand path adjusts.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Work=wins,

I believe it was also Mankin that first coined the term "top hand torque" which was essentially an early way of thinking about TTB, in my opinion.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Thanks FP. The question remains.. do you turn the barrel behind you for speed? Or turn the knob to the sky for adjustments?

I know these are tough questions :) but I am discussing how the barrel gets turned and simply disagreeing with one gurus theory. If it were SB or Epstein... my dialogue would be the same. No one is bitching.

"Do you turn the barrel behind you for speed?" IMO, bat/barrel speed is created by the combination of upper and lower body actions. It is not simply from TTB, although that is a part of it. If the barrel is not accelerating as soon as you launch, you are toast.

"Or turn the knob to the sky for adjustments?" I don't even know what that means. I have heard some HI/HLP followers talk about turning the knob to the sky, but more so in the context of a feel/exaggeration, that isn't to be taken literally. The talk revolves more around a 12/6 barrel path that tilts depending on pitch location. The fact that this "clockface" tilts automatically implies that "to the sky" is an over exaggeration.

Jun 8, 2016

Pretty straight right? A to B?

IMO the Ortiz video is a good (almost extreme) example of initial hand torque..there are a number frames where the barrel is moving rearward with little to no forward movement of the hands. But if I am understanding your opinion, you will say that is a reaction to body movement and not due to anything the hands are doing on the handle. Correct?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802