Not sliding

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 20, 2015
Runner coming into second. Does not slide, but makes no contact with ss. Ss throws to first and throws the ball off the retired runners helmet. Is this interference out at first? Runner wasn't very close to 2nd as it was one of those ground balls that was up the middle where the ss steps on the bag which is why she didn't slide.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Aug 25, 2019
This is the one call I never seem to get a straight answer. Some will say runner doesn't have to slide or get out of the way, others says the retired runner must get out of the way or be called for interference.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
If you have interference, the second out would be runner closest to home, right? It very well may be the batter-runner at first, but I don't think that's automatic.

Edit: This isn't interference as described. Runner must do something other than exist to actually commit interference.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2021
MI
This would be interference as described.

8.6.16.c

After being declared out or after scoring, a runner interferes with a defensive players opportunity to make a play on another runner.

PENALTY The ball is dead and the runner closest to home plate at the time of the interference shall be called out. Each other runner must return to the last base touched at the time of the interference.

This is the one call I never seem to get a straight answer. Some will say runner doesn't have to slide or get out of the way, others says the retired runner must get out of the way or be called for interference.

SOME would be wrong according to rule, OTHERS would be correct.

EDIT;

This is a 'have to be there' play to know for sure if the throw was a legitimate attempt to retire the BR at first, but it sounds like the throw was straight down the baseline in which case I have interference all day long.

Jul 22, 2015
This would be interference as described.

8.6.16.c

After being declared out or after scoring, a runner interferes with a defensive players opportunity to make a play on another runner.

PENALTY The ball is dead and the runner closest to home plate at the time of the interference shall be called out. Each other runner must return to the last base touched at the time of the interference.

SOME would be wrong according to rule, OTHERS would be correct.

EDIT;

This is a 'have to be there' play to know for sure if the throw was a legitimate attempt to retire the BR at first, but it sounds like the throw was straight down the baseline in which case I have interference all day long.
Simply being there is not interference. I know it's subject to seeing the play and interpretation of what "opportunity" really means, but I don't believe the runner interferes with the SS opportunity to make a play simply by continuing to exist. As long as the runner does not interfere with the SS OPPORTUNITY (was not taken out with a rolling slide or run into by a runner who didn't slide) to make the play I don't have interference, I have a poor throw from the defense. If the defense has a reasonable opportunity to make a throw I place the burden on them to account for the fact that there is a runner. Where would you have the runner to go when they weren't close enough to the base to slide?

Feb 13, 2021
MI
Where would you have the runner to go when they weren't close enough to the base to slide?

Left, right or down. It is not the fact that she simply existed that caused the interference, it was the fact that her body (her head in particular) was in the path that the SS needed (or chose) to complete her throw. It is not the responsibility of the defense to make sure the path is clear, it is the responsibility of the offense, by rule. I know many people argue that it shouldn't be that way, and I am not saying that it is 'fair', but it is what the rules require.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2021
MI
As long as the runner does not interfere with the SS OPPORTUNITY (was not taken out with a rolling slide or run into by a runner who didn't slide) to make the play I don't have interference,

The way you are interpreting it seems to require contact, which is no part of the rule. It also seems to only involve the opportunity for the defense to make the throw, not make the play, which is both the throw and the catch. If it helps, look at it this way, the runner interfered with the 1B chance to catch the ball. Either way, since the ball HIT THE RUNNER, it is a very simple call as long as there is any chance for the ball to have ben caught.

Feb 13, 2021
MI
The 'have to be there' portion goes to the argument that was made in that other thread of 'where should the runner go in a split second'' and 'did the runner even have a chance to get out of they way' Also, that post was from 4 years ago so any case book or interpretations are subject to having been changed. Comp said at that time that no rule code outside of NCAA " requires the retired runner to get out of the way of a throw." This is true, but NFHS, at least, clearly states in casebook (8.6.16 Situation B) that if the defense steps to the side to open a throwing lane and the throw is delayed enough that the runner is not retired, the the runner can be guilty of interference. This implies that the runner is responsible if the defense need to adjust the way they are tying to attempt making the play.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cputman12