Not all swings are the same

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
View attachment 14803
2013 homer

View attachment 14804

2017 homer

View attachment 14805
2018 homer

His rear forearm is flat/horizontal at toe touch just like every MLB hitter. And the bat head is in the typical position/angle.

I gave up on the hands/elbow position theory in early 2015, when I discovered the rear forearm theory.

He does have some bat drag prior to hip slot, but somehow he's able to get the hands ahead from that point forward. 99% of kids can't do that.

So with this being said maybe just maybe a hint of what you say is ‘bat drag’ isn’t really ‘drag’ and probably is just a bit more ‘lag’ then you care for, which is not ’detrimental’ to a swing. But needed in a swing.

You will see more ‘lag’ on away pitches because of the ‘wait’ time. Make sense?

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
Bat drag causes a loss of early bat speed, plus it causes the bat head not to get ahead of the hands as early as it could. So, it is not optimal.

For 99% of hitters with bat drag, they turn their torso (use their body), and drop their elbow (significant leverage), without significantly moving the bat head. They are then dependent on throwing their arms and hands away from their body to get the bat head around.

Even with bat drag, many (youth) hitters, when they get their arms fully extended, can hit home runs - usually extreme pull hits.

Is anyone here promoting bat drag is a good thing?

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Bat drag causes a loss of early bat speed, plus it causes the bat head not to get ahead of the hands as early as it could. So, it is not optimal.

For 99% of hitters with bat drag, they turn their torso (use their body), and drop their elbow (significant leverage), without significantly moving the bat head. They are then dependent on throwing their arms and hands away from their body to get the bat head around.

Even with bat drag, many (youth) hitters, when they get their arms fully extended, can hit home runs - usually extreme pull hits.

Is anyone here promoting bat drag is a good thing?

Sometimes you would like a ‘delay’ with the head especially on the outer third or an offspeed pitch.

Yes, I understand how bat drag happens. Is that what you see Zimmerman doing? I don’t think so. But you labeled it ‘drag’ instead of ‘lag’. The bathead moves plenty in concert with his body so it wouldn’t be ‘drag’ right? Not all lag is the same. Pitch location and timing make that a variable.

No one is promoting ‘drag’. ‘Lag’ is a much needed force in a good swing.

Nov 18, 2015
I’m not seeing much, if any bat drag.

The gif shown also is more from the back than straight across - I think the angle is making it look like his elbow gets ahead of his hands - in my opinion, it looks like his elbow gets under his hands, then they turn together before the hands get back ahead.

Lag, but no drag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478