Not all swings are the same

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
giphy.gif

What are your thoughts on the swing? IMO this swing is different then someone with higher hands.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
giphy.gif

What are your thoughts on the swing? IMO this swing is different then someone with higher hands.
I think you are right: Lower back elbow, less shoulder tilt during the swing, elbow drops - then swing vs. elbow drop being more of the initiator of barrel rotation, a little more barring of the arm which makes it look more like pulling/pushing through the zone linearly vs a tight arc. Pitch location is a factor but it looks much different than this

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
I think you are right: Lower back elbow, less shoulder tilt during the swing, elbow drops - then swing vs. elbow drop being more of the initiator of barrel rotation, a little more barring of the arm which makes it look more like pulling/pushing through the zone linearly vs a tight arc. Pitch location is a factor but it looks much different than this

Yes the higher hands often have the hand/barrel path where it is said the barrel stays up longer. There is a portion of the swing where high hands can be viewed as swinging down. In the swing of Zimmerman there isn't the same hand path of swinging down. The barrel/hands are low in a more direct path to the ball. It also seems that Zimmerman is creating a deeper hand rotational point.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Not all swings are the same!

BIngo. And guys like Zimmerman and others can play at the highest level with swings that have flaws or at least not optimal. Eye hand coordination and the ability to time a pitcher is more important than swing mechanics. If a hitting coach told Zimmerman "hey don't drop your hands before you swing" he would listen or couldn't do it.

If you were to show your DD or student video of good mechanics it would not be Zimmerman or Bonds for that matter. Miggy, Josh Donaldson or JD would be my choices.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Not all swings are the same!

BIngo. And guys like Zimmerman and others can play at the highest level with swings that have flaws or at least not optimal. Eye hand coordination and the ability to time a pitcher is more important than swing mechanics. If a hitting coach told Zimmerman "hey don't drop your hands before you swing" he would listen or couldn't do it.

If you were to show your DD or student video of good mechanics it would not be Zimmerman or Bonds for that matter. Miggy, Josh Donaldson or JD would be my choices.

Agreed. But Zimmerman isn’t dropping his hands before he swings. He is dropping his hands during his negative move. Hands slightly come up during his forward move. Then he swings. The only thing good hitters have in common is the sequence. Lower, upper, hands/barrel. Everything else could be style within the sequence.

Balance and sequence and how to use their hands is what should be taught. Whether through the barrel or through the hands. Jmo.

Sep 17, 2009
Agreed. But Zimmerman isn’t dropping his hands before he swings. He is dropping his hands during his negative move. Hands slightly come up during his forward move.

Zimmerman looks a little bound up but in the end, yep, it's a hand-pump inside a good sequence. Here's a more 'flowing' hand-pump, Josh Hamilton:

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
2013 homer

2017 homer

2018 homer

His rear forearm is flat/horizontal at toe touch just like every MLB hitter. And the bat head is in the typical position/angle.

I gave up on the hands/elbow position theory in early 2015, when I discovered the rear forearm theory.

He does have some bat drag prior to hip slot, but somehow he's able to get the hands ahead from that point forward. 99% of kids can't do that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812