Not a pitching coach, where do I start?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 26, 2019
I am an outfielder by nature, and we likely do not have any returning pitchers on a very mediocre at best high school team.

Absolute MUSTS or basics for teaching them and myself how to learn? Progression of drills? IR or happy elbow...? Also, what does DD stand for in this forum?!

Apr 28, 2019
I am an outfielder by nature, and we likely do not have any returning pitchers on a very mediocre at best high school team.

Absolute MUSTS or basics for teaching them and myself how to learn? Progression of drills? IR or happy elbow...? Also, what does DD stand for in this forum?!
Darling Daughter

I would suggest starting with videos. Amanda Scarborough, Dee Dee Weiman and many others out there.
Many teams don’t include pitching practice during their training sessions. Pitchers are generally expected to get practice time in on their own especially with HS age girls.
I would incorporate pitching practice with your normal practices. Maybe pitchers/catchers come in early or stay late if necessary.
Perhaps you could bring in a pitching coach to evaluate your talent and advise you on what you need to work on. Dangle the carrot some girls may want to start taking lessons and maybe they will not charge for evaluation/advice.
Tap any local resources. Maybe a former player would volunteer to help. Any travel teams close by? May be a chance the travel coach could point you in the right direction or possibly have his pitchers work with yours. You don’t know unless you ask.

Nov 26, 2019
Darling Daughter

I would suggest starting with videos. Amanda Scarborough, Dee Dee Weiman and many others out there.
Many teams don’t include pitching practice during their training sessions. Pitchers are generally expected to get practice time in on their own especially with HS age girls.
I would incorporate pitching practice with your normal practices. Maybe pitchers/catchers come in early or stay late if necessary.
Perhaps you could bring in a pitching coach to evaluate your talent and advise you on what you need to work on. Dangle the carrot some girls may want to start taking lessons and maybe they will not charge for evaluation/advice.
Tap any local resources. Maybe a former player would volunteer to help. Any travel teams close by? May be a chance the travel coach could point you in the right direction or possibly have his pitchers work with yours. You don’t know unless you ask.
[/QUOTE

Thanks so much...I appreciate the help. :)

Oct 4, 2018
Do you have budget to bring on a pitching coach?

If you (or anyone) doesn't know much about pitching, it's not something you can teach that well just watching videos. I've tried. :)

Nov 26, 2019
Do you have budget to bring on a pitching coach?

If you (or anyone) doesn't know much about pitching, it's not something you can teach that well just watching videos. I've tried. :)
No, it'd be out of pocket. So I've debated hiring someone to come once for a group session (not cheap) and then try to pick up as much as we can from there...

Oct 4, 2018
No, it'd be out of pocket. So I've debated hiring someone to come once for a group session (not cheap) and then try to pick up as much as we can from there...

Yeah, it's tough. :(

Not sure this applies to you, but our newly formed team last year did this:

1. Head Coach identified a local pitching coach that was good and not too expensive.
2. Head Coach asked girls/families "Who wants to be a pitcher?"
3. Head Coach set up weekly group lessons for girls to learn. Families paid for it.

This worked well so that HC and I (AC) could attend the lessons and know what was being taught to all the girls, so we could then reiterate it and work on it with the girls outside of their lessons.

Oct 3, 2019
Read the stickies in the pitching forum. View attachment 15750
Start with the first 3-4 pages on the first one then read the IR one, then the drive mechanics And brush interference. Then the first one again and occasionally view model pitchers for references. Then repeat

This is great advice!!! I am new to the forum and try to read and absorb everything I can. With that being said, after reading the stickies in the pitching forum and watching drills from Amanda Scarborough, I quickly realized that my DD's PC was actually hindering her progression and flat out teaching outdated techniques and drills.

Read what you can and ask questions as needed. At least you will have more knowledge going into a pitching lesson than I did. Thankfully we have now found a great coach and DD's progression is back on track.

As far as IR vs. Happy Elbow. IR is the way to go IF your pitchers are willing to put in the time and effort to truly learn the mechanics. I wish I knew about IR 4 years ago and started DD then.

Good luck in your search.

Sep 21, 2017
PA
I’ve been in your shoes! Heck, I still feel like I’m there, sometimes. One guy who really helped me understand was Bill Hillhouse. I bought a couple of his videos from his website and dove into them. For some reason, the way he teaches/explains pitching clicks with me. He’s active here on the site, as well.

I wish you all the best!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28