Not a pitching coach, where do I start?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 29, 2014
To @uncdrews point you can't just watch the videos and be a great pitching coach but you can learn the basics and fundamentals and become a good pitching coach. The caveat is, at least in my opinion, that you have to not just watch
you have to do the drills yourself and actually pitch yourself. I was completely spoiled in that DD loved catching but was alway #2 or #3 catcher so she loved getting reps by catching me. I got to the point where I could throw BP from the pitching plate to my 12U girls. To be fair it took months and while not a super athlete or anything I am fairly athletic and coordinated.

I would definitely read and watch the videos in the sticky thread, Hillhouse and Tincher videos are good source on youtube (but be careful there is a lot of garbage out there too). Do you have any idea what girls are coming out for the team?

Nov 26, 2019
This is great advice!!! I am new to the forum and try to read and absorb everything I can. With that being said, after reading the stickies in the pitching forum and watching drills from Amanda Scarborough, I quickly realized that my DD's PC was actually hindering her progression and flat out teaching outdated techniques and drills.

Read what you can and ask questions as needed. At least you will have more knowledge going into a pitching lesson than I did. Thankfully we have now found a great coach and DD's progression is back on track.

As far as IR vs. Happy Elbow. IR is the way to go IF your pitchers are willing to put in the time and effort to truly learn the mechanics. I wish I knew about IR 4 years ago and started DD then.

Good luck in your search.
I so appreciate the help!

Nov 26, 2019
To @uncdrews point you can't just watch the videos and be a great pitching coach but you can learn the basics and fundamentals and become a good pitching coach. The caveat is, at least in my opinion, that you have to not just watch
you have to do the drills yourself and actually pitch yourself. I was completely spoiled in that DD loved catching but was alway #2 or #3 catcher so she loved getting reps by catching me. I got to the point where I could throw BP from the pitching plate to my 12U girls. To be fair it took months and while not a super athlete or anything I am fairly athletic and coordinated.

I would definitely read and watch the videos in the sticky thread, Hillhouse and Tincher videos are good source on youtube (but be careful there is a lot of garbage out there too). Do you have any idea what girls are coming out for the team?
Yeah, I'm definitely getting reps in myself to pitch BP...blind leading blind, for sure, but will get there.

We have maybe one pitcher who pitched at middle school level. Lots of 9th graders, only a couple of upperclassmen returners (and only 2-3 that have ever played club ball of any sort).

Jul 22, 2015
You might ask around to see if there is a parent near your area of a recently graduated pitcher who had good mechanics. Sometimes they feel a little lost as well, since they don't have their dd to work with anymore. You may find one willing to work with you for cheap (or free?) for at least long enough to get you started on the right track.

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
I did as DJ said and learned to pitch along with my DD, who no longer pitches but could if she desired to.

I’m an older dude with an injured shoulder but I can On occasion get a good whip going. But all of this info on this forum helped me learn good from bad! That’s the main thing to watch out for. BAD!

Nov 26, 2019
You might ask around to see if there is a parent near your area of a recently graduated pitcher who had good mechanics. Sometimes they feel a little lost as well, since they don't have their dd to work with anymore. You may find one willing to work with you for cheap (or free?) for at least long enough to get you started on the right track.
Oooooh...so true! The empty nesters of the world would LOVE to help, I’m sure.

Feb 8, 2019
I second the idea that you get a recent college grad who may have pitched. doesn't have to be from your town. you are in a tight spot and do not need to train a pitcher to be an ace, you just need her to throw hittable pitches that the rest of the team can handle. a few years ago, our HS team had a pitcher that threw creampuffs that other teams were not used to seeing and she did very well.

look at this video- it shows what you do, some aspects may be executed differently but all in all this shows with great detail what happens inn the windup/pitch:
Amanda Scarborough
also, I like this pitcher too. she's only like 5'4" and held her own in the SEC
Delaney Gourley

terminology; " Open and closed refer to the pitcher like a door. the view from the plate.
"Open": when pitcher is sideways to the batter, glove shoulder forward.
"Closed": when pitcher is square to the plate, facing the batter, taking the sign. door is closed.

I am developing protocols in my town for teaching very young players (and coaches) how to pitch. PM me if you're interested and I can share enough info to maybe get you started

Nov 11, 2019
Maybe some past pitchers from your school would like to come work with your pitchers. Every year we have a college grad or 2 that want to come work with our TB team. Some work out, some don’t.

Nov 26, 2019
I did as DJ said and learned to pitch along with my DD, who no longer pitches but could if she desired to.

I’m an older dude with an injured shoulder but I can On occasion get a good whip going. But all of this info on this forum helped me learn good from bad! That’s the main thing to watch out for. BAD!
Did you learn/teach via internal rotation?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28