Non softball - School re-opening

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
They are having a school board meeting right now to decide what to do in Norman. Wife is watching on FB..asked her how it is going and she said it is a mess..encouraging.

Jun 30, 2020
Different counties in Georgia are doing different things. In my county, Gwinnett, they are offering students the choice between being in-school or virtual. My daughter chose in-school because she hates online classes.

On a side note, the Gwinnett County school board is requiring students to wear masks all day long. However, members of the school board couldn’t even wear them consistently for their one hour meeting discussing the decision. I expect that to go swimmingly when school starts.

Meanwhile, Clayton County announced only virtual classes today.

Jul 13, 2020
My kids school are having onsite instruction but also a option for virtual. I think most school in Arkansas are doing both onsite and virtual.
Kids are recommended to wear a mask.
I'll send one with my kids, and they can decide when to wear it. And ill make sure they always have hand sanitizer.
Classes start back August 24th.
My kids will be going back to school. But they are actually ready to go back. They miss all their friends.
If my kids can play sports, and go to tournaments.
Then they can go to school.

Mar 6, 2016
The thing that sort of pisses me off is just the randomness of what is allowed and what isn't allowed in terms of sports, activities, etc. And I get that this is all new uncharted territory for everyone and nobody really knows what to do....but here in Orange County, Ca. we had been shut down for softball since March, then two weeks ago we get the ok to practice again for all Star and Travel Ball teams had been playing before that for a couple weeks. Then, just a week ago we get the hammer again and all youth sports and team practices and even school sports camps are all shut down again... and then I go to the beach (whole other discussion right there) and I see AT LEAST 100+ kids in the Jr. Life Guard camps all packed together as it's like any other summer here in So Cal. No masks, no social distancing, doing drills and games that literally have them holding hands and interacting physically with each other on the beach and in the water. Then they all pack in like sardines under their tents for their lunch breaks.

My wife and girls couldn't believe it. Softball with 12 girls and 2 coaches gets shut down, but 100-150 kids + 15-20 counselors/Life Guards are ok? My wife took a photo of the groups...we couldn't believe it. And this was 1 day AFTER Gov. Newsom ordered another semi-shutdown of gyms, restaurants, malls etc. My youngest asked why are they able to have their Life Guard camps with all those kids and we can't practice with 12 girls? I had no answer other than thinking to myself..."Welcome to Orange County where politics and money make the rules." The Jr Life Guard camps out here are BIG business and bring a LOT more $$ than softball does.

Jun 30, 2020
The thing that sort of pisses me off is just the randomness of what is allowed and what isn't allowed in terms of sports, activities, etc.

It is the same everywhere. It is completely arbitrary, not based on any science, only what local bureaucrats think they can do and which groups of businesses can grease the right wheels. Another example,at the same time ref sports was banned here, the local city government was still running its farmers market.

Went to a showcase in Alabama and the local officials allowed them to run a camp with 200 girls on the same field but then had all these restrictions on what people could do and where they could sit during the games.

They lost any shred of moral authority by allowing violent protests but blocking regular small businesses and activities from taking place.

Jul 29, 2016
I never thought of myself as a liberal. Having said that, I am concerned that here in Georgia, the school districts that have the most at-risk kids (like Clayton County and City of Atlanta) have made the early decision to go all-virtual. A lot of these kids rely on breakfast and lunch at school not to go hungry. They don't have internet at home, and they sure as hell don't have computers. The decision to go virtual is going to ensure that education passes these kids by. That education is the only shot that most of these kids have to get out of their dire situations.

I also think its ridiculous that we've politicized the issue of pandemic response. It makes no sense at all that we are making public-health decisions based on party affiliation. The one constant I see is that all of the politicians are lost at sea on this issue.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2019
Related to this, we might be looking to transfer somewhere that has in-school classes AND fall HS softball in a month. Any recommendations?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fjhood