No swing rule on 3-0 count

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 15, 2016
I agree with your way of thinking. You are right about it being "situation dependent". It's good to think about it from a coach's way of thinking about the big picture versus just one at bat. It just struck me as odd to lay down a flat "never swing" instead of just have them look to him for the sign. In his defense, this is a young 10U team that is still getting used to kid pitch so no one is a sure thing at bat. I just don't want my DD to get that in her head forever.

I am guessing that at 10U with a 3-0 count the coach has seen tooo many players swing at a ball in the dirt or over their heads. It is not a terrible way to approach 10U but I agree with others that it is better to teach the girls how to play situationally at 10U so they understand why they get a take sign at 3-0 and what it means to get the green light at 3-0.

Oct 4, 2018
This is not always true. At lower levels/younger ages, often pitchers can hit a fastball down the middle even if they're all over the place with their location on other called pitches. The coach might call that to help her reset. Or, sometimes you get an umpire with at tiny zone. Pitcher might be great at hitting the corners but they're not giving them to her. She may try to give it more plate on a 3-0 count.

Agreed. I've watched 10U girls pitch 7 balls in a row and then 7 strikes in a row. Crazy stuff, but they find their groove in spurts.

I'm of the mind that at 3-0 you're acting almost like 0-0. You're looking for your pitch, and only swinging at your pitch. With "your pitch" defined as a certain pitch (fastball for my 10U girls) and a subset of the strike zone (i.e. inside at the waist). If it's not exactly what you wanted, take. If it's exactly what you're preparing for, crush it.

Jun 15, 2018
As a Coach, my only hard rule on this is if you're leading off the inning. The leadoffs' job is to get on base, so if the pitcher hasn't thrown a strike to begin the inning and it's 3-0, we hold until she does.

Oct 4, 2018
As a Coach, my only hard rule on this is if you're leading off the inning. The leadoffs' job is to get on base, so if the pitcher hasn't thrown a strike to begin the inning and it's 3-0, we hold until she does.

I like that.

I'm also fine handling it situationally. Girl is tired, slumping, just seems out of it. Perhaps you take on 3-0.

Jun 11, 2013
I don't think anyone agrees that you should always take 3-0. When I coach 3rd I will give certain hitters the take sign on 3-0 a lot. They fall into 2 categories. Those who have low slugging percentages and those who have earned not getting the green light. I had a kid who would swing at ball 4 time and time again. She might get a few hits, but was sacrificing a sure on base to get an extra hit 1 out of 3 times.

Nov 16, 2015
I havent read all the posts so this could have been mentioned before.

There is no right or wrong answer here. It is 100% philosophical.

My philosophy is that its very situational. thats it. there is a time to take and a time to swing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robertsonwhitney45