No strides, scaps and lead arms

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
Thanks, I was hoping you would chime in. Often people would say that is the hands are to far back and the lead arm is barred, then the figure skater effect is compromised.

Right, but that just means that due to conservation of momentum their angular velocity wouldn't be optimized. In a certain (probabilistic) sense, conservation of momentum even holds
in quantum mechanics....Griffey arm-barred too..it isn't necessarily a kiss of death

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Right, but that just means that due to conservation of momentum their angular velocity wouldn't be optimized. In a certain (probabilistic) sense, conservation of momentum even holds
in quantum mechanics....Griffey arm-barred too..it isn't necessarily a kiss of death

Thanks, Yes Griffey had the hands farther back as well with a straight lead arm. I have a clip somewhere that I made of Nomar and Griffey. I have to find it.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
giphy.gif

The video quality isn't very good.

Can you say show the numbers.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
giphy.gif

Both show the numbers at the start. I always knew most started with a 30 degrees torque angle, but some might be even more counter rotated. Going by this clip both start showing the numbers.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Patter,

Here's one for you. Often it is said that the barred lead arm creates an increased arc or longer swing. What if Nomar and Griffey are increasing the distance and this falls into force being applied for a longer distance. Therefor they are increasing the distance to create force and their not increasing the the time. So they are increasing the distance in-which they can create force, thus creating more force.

Jun 8, 2016
Patter,

Here's one for you. Often it is said that the barred lead arm creates an increased arc or longer swing. What if Nomar and Griffey are increasing the distance and this falls into force being applied for a longer distance. Therefor they are increasing the distance to create force and their not increasing the the time. So they are increasing the distance in-which they can create force, thus creating more force.

If you increase the distance over which a force acts you are in fact increasing the work being done e.g. work is force times distance. Not sure that has much to do with their success. IMO, more than likely they are creating a greater amount of stretch in their bodies with their actions and this is what is helping them.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
If you increase the distance over which a force acts you are in fact increasing the work being done e.g. work is force times distance. Not sure that has much to do with their success. IMO, more than likely they are creating a greater amount of stretch in their bodies with their actions and this is what is helping them.

Also consider lead-arm leverage.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
The more the arm bars the more leverage. But arm bar hitters have great eye hand coordination and get away with it. Not what you would teach. Power hitters that are good at anticipating (guessing) certain pitches can get away with longer swings.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28