No stride

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Here's Soto using the no-stride.

giphy.gif

It looks like he already has the weight back as he loads.

question, If there is a difference between stride/no-stride. Is it in the stretching of the front side/shoulder against the stride? If there is no loss in power with using the no-stride, then doesn't that mean that pre setting the loading works just as well? So presetting showing the numbers (creating downward shoulder action, shoulder moving down and back) and hiding the hands works just as good as someone who does it more dynamically?

I have always said no-stride hitters create a greater sequence between the hip/shoulders stretch/separation.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
giphy.gif

Another no stride swing. I was surprised his career high was 20/21 Hr's. They said something like he hit a new career high the other day.

Jul 29, 2013
In my own personal case with DD,

the key is to learn how to "un-weight" the back-side without over-baking this move and getting "over" the front leg.

The weight-shift to the front leg should be a "resistive" movement, correct?
What's the front leg resisting?
Here's a different understanding/approach....
The forward move into the front leg is an energy creating and storing movement. The movement is into and against the front leg. The energy is stored in the front leg via "stretch shortening cycle" which has to do with eccentric and rapid concentric muscle activity and the stretch reflex. When done correctly, the resulting extension of the front leg is used to powerfully turn the pelvis.
One of the byproducts of this powerful turn is the rapid unweighting of the rear leg and the ensuing recoil of the rear leg into the torso.
The concern about "over-baking" the move into the front leg is based in the way the weight is transfered from the back leg. I think extension of the back leg causes getting "over" or on top of the front side whereas outward rotation of the rear leg and then falling into and against the front leg avoids "over-baking". There should be no push via extension from the back leg.
Many refer to the coil into the rear leg. I see that as merely internally rotating the rear leg before externally rotating it to open the pelvis. It's a wind-up. After the externally rotated rear leg is unweighted, it recoils to a neutral position, sometimes skipping forward to catch up with the pelvis as it is rotated.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802