No stride swings

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 12, 2016
One of the reasons I've always hated pitching machine and any drill that forces a hitter react abnormally to hitting a ball (quick fire soft toss) is one that forces a hitter to abandon proper sequence. Whatever drill you do, you need to allow the hitter some kind of recognition that a ball is being delivered to hit. It could be a hand motion, or some other kind of indicator, but it needs to happen. DD's coach use to do a quick fire front toss drill. DD would swing and finish her swing, next ball was coming before DD even had a chance to start her sequence again... that drill use to get me fired up.. do you want your kids to only swing with arms and wrist??? Sigh

Sep 1, 2014
Great post. I highlighted a couple things.

I have always speculated with no evidence that the players I front toss to hit better when I don’t throw as hard.

We worked on starting at toe touch when we knew we had a session of 70 mph machine to get through but never considered it as a bp solution. I really like that.

If you have any other thoughts on front toss bp etc, I’d love to see them consolidated with these in a separate thread. I can tell you have thought hard about it.

BTW, before a career ending injury one of my dd’s played for Tara for a year. That family is coaching royalty and dd thought very highly of her.
Thanks - I hate the unintended flaws that creep into a swing based on what happens in practice. That is why I take a lot of video to compare to the best - Mark Hanson’s principle.

Good idea about posting as separate thread because this is kind of buried in this thread. I do have other thoughts on effective front toss - such as show the ball first to give the batter a trigger to load, and others

Funny you mention Tara - Tara coached my daughter for about a year when Gerry stopped doing group lessons. Tara was great. My daughter went from an inconsistent hitter to a solid high average hitter with power. She grew tremendously working with Tara. I agree with you - I wish the Glasco’s were still in our area. Jeff Edwards is another very good hitting coach that my daughter has learned from. Steve Englishbey too.

Dec 11, 2010
One of the reasons I've always hated pitching machine and any drill that forces a hitter react abnormally to hitting a ball (quick fire soft toss) is one that forces a hitter to abandon proper sequence.

Julray, I agree with this. The first rule of hitting practice or instruction is “do no harm”.

There is certainly more to running a pitching machine than “plug it in and set it to 70 so they get used to the speed”.

When done right, it can be a big plus. When done wrong, well you have seen what happens.

Dec 11, 2010
Thanks - I hate the unintended flaws that creep into a swing based on what happens in practice. That is why I take a lot of video to compare to the best - Mark Hanson’s principle.

See this every spring during hs ball, 3 different head coaches. And I understand why it happens. Unsupervised tee swings, coaches hurrying to get hitters as much front toss or machine swings etc. And it happens FAST.

Good idea about posting as separate thread because this is kind of buried in this thread. I do have other thoughts on effective front toss - such as show the ball first to give the batter a trigger to load, and others

I’m in!

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
Julray, I agree with this. The first rule of hitting practice or instruction is “do no harm”.

There is certainly more to running a pitching machine than “plug it in and set it to 70 so they get used to the speed”.

When done right, it can be a big plus. When done wrong, well you have seen what happens.
I think SNF type drills off the machine could be useful and if I used one with DD would be what I would do.

May 12, 2016
I think SNF drills off the machine could be useful and if I used one with DD would be what I would do.

I agree, but still they would need an indicator of when to stretch... otherwise it would be the same problem (rushed arm swing). Maybe the hitter could stretch as the ball is being loaded, hold and fire

Dec 11, 2010
Have done snf both with front toss and machine. I like it.

Especially with this drill of the keys to using a machine is consistent feed. Whether it is show the ball and feed it straight down consistently into the chute (no bouncing, no rolling) or doing a windmill feed (usually best with a Jugs single wheel) don’t rush it. Make your movements slowish and consistent. Just like the hitter, “slow and early” is good for the feeder.

Story time: There used to be an instructor in my area that used Jugs machines exclusively. The instructor didn’t feed. He hired this dude that moved in slow motion. He had surprisingly good results.

His results fell fell off the charts when slow motion dude got in a spat with the instructor. The lady he hired to replace him was always in a big hurry. It ruined his business and as sharp as he was I don’t think he ever figured it out.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom