No stride swings

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 9, 2019
This would be my poster child for a nostride swing. Very good one!

I know she's a good hitter.. but if we saw that same swing, and it was from a "bad hitter" wouldn't we contribute it to the way she's swinging?

I'm not an expert obviously, but that just doesn't look like a powerful swing. I don't see much weight shift, much coil, much of anything.

Sep 1, 2014
My name is not Vladdy jr.. :). It's not my approach, but I do like a simple yet effective swing. For a lot of kids, no stride offers this and they can have much success with it.

Let's address some myths about no stride
  1. No stride is a less powerful swing - Not true, proper mechanics can be achieved in both stride and no stride leading to a powerful swing
  2. No stride is for younger kids - Not true, older kids and college level hitters use no stride
  3. No stride is for less athletic kids - Not true, but it can be helpful for kids who struggle with balance and body awareness.. and fear of the ball(stepping in the bucket type hitters)
  4. No stride is an "all back, all forward" type swing - Not true, same sequence can be achieved with No stride as stride
  5. Stride helps transfer weight - Again not true, many amateur hitters take a false stride and do not transfer weight at all. With proper mechanics weight transfer will occur with both stride and no stride
Maybe it's different in Canada, but I see very very good no stride softball hitters having a ton of success every weekend. I can see that there are many posting on this site as well where their DD's are having success. Also in the steps you provide to help hitters with their swing(very helpful btw, I've used this myself to help my own DD), this sequence can be achieved with a no stride swing.
My daughter does both. I taught her to use one for BP and another for her game swing. Her game swing has a leg kick and stride. Her BP swing starts at toe touch.

Why would we have her do two swings - seems like it would mess her up and cause timing issues. Crazy - right?

The opposite. It kept her from ruining her game swing.

The culprit: HS And even well meaning TB coach standing 6-8 feet in front of batters doing a full wind-up throwing as fast as they can to get our hitters ready for fast pitching.

Previous Result; rushed swings with zero separation coil scap load etc basically undid everything she learned from very good hitting coaches.

The toe touch swing is now used for BP and it does not hurt game swing because her leg kick swing gets to toe touch and then it’s basically the same from that point forward.

It took watching game swing videos and asking what they do at practice to figure this out.

If you do the fast up front pitching not allowing time to properly load the result will be a rushed all back all forward swing. And the worst thing about is that nobody will know why you stop hitting.

Gerry Glasco once told me the worst thing you can do is stand up close and throw super fast - it will ruin the guts timing. He pitched up close and sometimes fast but he would start well behind the screen and walk towards it - basically allowed the girls to do their load without being rushed - they started their load when he started walking toward the screen.

Jun 10, 2010
midwest
I know she's a good hitter.. but if we saw that same swing, and it was from a "bad hitter" wouldn't we contribute it to the way she's swinging?

I'm not an expert obviously, but that just doesn't look like a powerful swing. I don't see much weight shift, much coil, much of anything.
I would still like the swing. The major components of very good mechanics are there and that's what is significant to power imo. Her sequence & movement patterns are good.

You may be noticing where she shortens/quickens things for her no stride swing.
1. Very small weight shift. I was surprised when I seen how little of a weight shift she had.
2. Smaller quicker coil. Still loads rear hip and stabilizes it.
3. Smaller barrel running start. About my minimum..wouldn't want less for sure.

Take a look at each pattern below as if you did not know she was a no-strider.
What would you change?
What pattern do you not like?
What pattern do you like that she does?

She makes a good study for alot of reasons.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
I would still like the swing. The major components of very good mechanics are there and that's what is significant to power imo. Her sequence & movement patterns are good.

1. Very small weight shift. I was surprised when I seen how little of a weight shift she had.

What would you change?

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

This is a really good swing to break down. She creates leverage against the backside (attack posture, FYB) and leverage against the front side (front leg is the handle or hand holding the sling shot). The spring or sling shot happens as a result, swing unfolds or springs forward as the front leg straightens. It can also be viewed as a snapping towel effect (the snap happens as the front leg extends). Or you can say the hips snap.

May 12, 2016

What would you change?

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif
Who is the lady in the video?

Jun 8, 2016
Who is the lady in the video?
If you mean the girl hitting that is your bat flip buddy...Samantha Show ;) . She was using the Carbon 1 my DD uses for a good portion of the year but I think she switched at the end of the year to a Power Carbon?

May 12, 2016
If you mean the girl hitting that is your bat flip buddy...Samantha Show ;) . She was using the Carbon 1 my DD uses for a good portion of the year but I think she switched at the end of the year to a Power Carbon?
My Flip buddy, lol. Thank you

Dec 11, 2010
My daughter does both. I taught her to use one for BP and another for her game swing. Her game swing has a leg kick and stride. Her BP swing starts at toe touch.

Why would we have her do two swings - seems like it would mess her up and cause timing issues. Crazy - right?

The opposite. It kept her from ruining her game swing.

The culprit: HS And even well meaning TB coach standing 6-8 feet in front of batters doing a full wind-up throwing as fast as they can to get our hitters ready for fast pitching.

Previous Result; rushed swings with zero separation coil scap load etc basically undid everything she learned from very good hitting coaches.

The toe touch swing is now used for BP and it does not hurt game swing because her leg kick swing gets to toe touch and then it’s basically the same from that point forward.

It took watching game swing videos and asking what they do at practice to figure this out.

If you do the fast up front pitching not allowing time to properly load the result will be a rushed all back all forward swing. And the worst thing about is that nobody will know why you stop hitting.

Gerry Glasco once told me the worst thing you can do is stand up close and throw super fast - it will ruin the (girls?) timing
. He pitched up close and sometimes fast but he would start well behind the screen and walk towards it - basically allowed the girls to do their load without being rushed - they started their load when he started walking toward the screen.

Great post. I highlighted a couple things.

I have always speculated with no evidence that the players I front toss to hit better when I don’t throw as hard.

We worked on starting at toe touch when we knew we had a session of 70 mph machine to get through but never considered it as a bp solution. I really like that.

If you have any other thoughts on front toss bp etc, I’d love to see them consolidated with these in a separate thread. I can tell you have thought hard about it.

BTW, before a career ending injury one of my dd’s played for Tara for a year. That family is coaching royalty and dd thought very highly of her.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28