No stride and swinging from the launch, one legged?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Where in that Video is it stating that It fires first. I think it is sound what the guy is explaining, but It doesn't say its firing first. . If anything you stretching the obliques, so that you can have maximum contraction, right?

By the way at the 32 second mark it shows the kinects starting from the ground up, do you disregard that?

Must have miss this. The way I see it is the energy gets PUT into the ground. It doesn’t start there.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
"Please open a book/surf the web and try to find one muscle of the Torso that moves the pelvis. (Hint: THERE ARE NONE). "

I know I can hang from my chin up bar and rotate my hips (pelvis) without my feet touching the ground. Of course the obliques can move the pelvis.

Side question: Do you consider the glutes part of the torso? I do.

The glutes, quads(to some extent) and obliques (and a lot other unnamed muscles) work together to turn the pelvis against the resisting(stretched) core to catapult the shoulders around the spine (or back hip socket for the unbalanced amongst us LOL)

Oct 2, 2017
"Please open a book/surf the web and try to find one muscle of the Torso that moves the pelvis. (Hint: THERE ARE NONE). "

I know I can hang from my chin up bar and rotate my hips (pelvis) without my feet touching the ground. Of course the obliques can move the pelvis.

The glutes, quads(to some extent) and obliques (and a lot other unnamed muscles) work together to turn the pelvis against the resisting(stretched) core to catapult the shoulders around the spine (or back hip socket for the unbalanced amongst us LOL)

I don't, although they do help stabalize the lower back correct?

May 12, 2016
The ground is what I anchor my back foot to, I try to never let it go until it breaks free(inevitable). However before it breaks free I have two anchors(back & front foot) secured to the ground. In this position, I am strong, stabilized and dynamic. From this position(leveraged) I am ready for anything.

And that's about as poetic as it gets for me... lolol

Reactions: TDS
Aug 20, 2017
Must have miss this. The way I see it is the energy gets PUT into the ground. It doesn’t start there.
Same difference
The ground is what I anchor my back foot to, I try to never let it go until it breaks free(inevitable). However before it breaks free I have two anchors(back & front foot) secured to the ground. In this position, I am strong, stabilized and dynamic. From this position(leveraged) I am ready for anything.

And that's about as poetic as it gets for me... lolol
Scap load needs to act as an anchor as well. Anchor the back foot, anchor the upper body via scap load during the move out you will have adjustability in the swing. You will most likely be in sequence. Your elbow will slot, the handle will stay tight to the shoulder, the barrel will turn, rotation will be tight, and you can put on the breaks at the last second. Doing the above allows you to let the ball get deeper, allowing the brain to process as much info about the pitch as possible.

Feb 25, 2020

Anything that attaches to the femur I define as a leg muscle. Femur = leg . Tib/fib is lower leg. Glute attaches to pelvis and femur.

As far as hanging and rotating hips. Still while hanging all your obliques really do stabilize your abdomen so your hip and leg muscles(muscles that attach to pelvis and femur) have something to pull on since the feet arent on the ground. The most they really do is tilt the pelvis. They certainly do not rotate them like has been claimed. Look at what all abdominal muscles attach to.

People consider a sit up an abdominal exercise. Hip flexors do the flexing of the hip. Abs try to flex the torso. Most situps the abs just stabilize the torso. The abs arent pulling your torso all the way up with the hips along for the ride.

In a leg raise/twist this doesnt change. The hip flexors still flex the hip but the legs raise instead of the torso raising in a situp.

(Premied the post sorry for edit)

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Same difference

Scap load needs to act as an anchor as well. Anchor the back foot, anchor the upper body via scap load during the move out you will have adjustability in the swing. You will most likely be in sequence. Your elbow will slot, the handle will stay tight to the shoulder, the barrel will turn, rotation will be tight, and you can put on the breaks at the last second. Doing the above allows you to let the ball get deeper, allowing the brain to process as much info about the pitch as possible.

Comparing the two ‘anchors’ as the same can be confusing. The back foot is anchored to the ground. The hands or ‘scap’ is anchored to the body. A bit different. just a pothole that can create casting if one tries to anchor both the same way.

I do like JDs description when he says the arms should have zero tension until the scap pulls them back.

Feb 25, 2020
Bonesaw

What about the Psoas? it connects the spine to the femur.

Shawn, thats a good one to look at. A lot of the time its merged with iliacus and just called iliopsoas. Iliacus attaches to the iliac crest and femur. They kind of join forces lower toward the femur. Its part of the hip flexors and Wiki says its the strongest hip flexor. I think if you do a minute straight of situps and then try to run you will feel this one pretty good.

Here is what does what

Flexors

IMG_3400.jpg

Hip extensors

5097e03c84c320ead3546581e99702cf.jpg

Hip rotators

hip-rotator.jpg

If you look at all these muscles and realize that they can only forcefully contract you can see how every movement of the hip happens.

Then look at the size, number, and leverage these muscles have. Obliques move the torso by pulling on the pelvis. Not move it.

Obliques rotate the torso. They can tilt the pelvis a little bit.

Just because the obliques are contracting and the hip is also moving does not mean they are moving the hip meaningfully.

Hanging or in midair alot is done off the inertia and momentum of the lower limbs. It is still these muscles pictured.

I am not making this up. It is the way it is. I cant believe this is even an argument really.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RunnerOn2