No stride and swinging from the launch, one legged?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
giphy.gif

Here's a clip of what you might consider starting in the launch position and swinging out of it.

Is this letting the swing shift you forward? Or is the weight shift, points of pressure, happening before the swing like most hitters?

If this is letting the swing shift you forward, then is that a style? and not an absolute?

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Carp doing both.. I call it movement pattern since the swing has different dependencies. Swinging from the launch position IMO is more of a frontal plane movement (catcher/pitcher) where the swing is the shift.

vah2fp1.gif

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
giphy.gif

Here's a clip of what you might consider starting in the launch position and swinging out of it.

Is this letting the swing shift you forward? Or is the weight shift, points of pressure, happening before the swing like most hitters?

If this is letting the swing shift you forward, then is that a style? and not an absolute?

It all depends on how you define weight shift.... In my opinion this hitter is not starting in the launch position. You can see his hips move towards the pitcher before he launches. It isn't until his hips stop moving in that direction that launch position is truly reached. When the launch occurs, he does have some weight applied at the front foot, but there is more weight applied to the rear foot (rear-legged). The act of launching the swing will force the front foot down resulting in more weight being applied to the front foot and consequently less applied to the rear foot. And, yes, I do consider this to be an absolute among the best hitters.

Some people look at weight shift as COG (center of gravity or center of mass -- @pattar can correct me here, I'm sure.) If you have ever been a member at BBD, one of the members there (bluedog) talks about weight shift occurring prior to launch. What he is referring to is this movement of the hips towards the pitcher (COG or COM). I believe his phrase is "shift to the middle" -- @TDS can correct me on this as he is a member there as well. I don't think anyone disputes this claim from bluedog, its just that weight shift is viewed differently based on their point of view. And, yes, I believe the "shift to the middle" as defined above is also an absolute among the best hitters. Just a different application of weight shift.

FYI... Personally I find the whole turf war garbage to be tedious. I do my best to understand all parties and provide my understanding. But if i am incorrect on something I am perfectly fine with someone else correcting me. I consider the agendas that some want to pursue a waste of time.

Jun 8, 2016
It all depends on how you define weight shift.... In my opinion this hitter is not starting in the launch position. You can see his hips move towards the pitcher before he launches. It isn't until his hips stop moving in that direction that launch position is truly reached. When the launch occurs, he does have some weight applied at the front foot, but there is more weight applied to the rear foot (rear-legged). The act of launching the swing will force the front foot down resulting in more weight being applied to the front foot and consequently less applied to the rear foot. And, yes, I do consider this to be an absolute among the best hitters.

Some people look at weight shift as COG (center of gravity or center of mass -- @pattar can correct me here, I'm sure.) If you have ever been a member at BBD, one of the members there (bluedog) talks about weight shift occurring prior to launch. What he is referring to is this movement of the hips towards the pitcher (COG or COM). I believe his phrase is "shift to the middle" -- @TDS can correct me on this as he is a member there as well. I don't think anyone disputes this claim from bluedog, its just that weight shift is viewed differently based on their point of view. And, yes, I believe the "shift to the middle" as defined above is also an absolute among the best hitters. Just a different application of weight shift.

FYI... Personally I find the whole turf war garbage to be tedious. I do my best to understand all parties and provide my understanding. But if i am incorrect on something I am perfectly fine with someone else correcting me. I consider the agendas that some want to pursue a waste of time.
When somebody discusses something shifting they are inherently talking about a position in space which is why it makes no sense biomechanically to talk about your weight shifting since weight has no position associated with it. In your first paragraph that is a discussion of the center of pressure (COP) shifting from near the back foot (or at the back foot when the front foot is in the air) to near the front foot after launch (or at the front foot if the back foot comes off the ground). The whole discussion of 1-leggedness really is just a discussion about whether the COP should be closer to the back foot at launch or more aligned with the COM which should be close to the centerline of the body if one is balanced at launch.

To me the first thing one needs to be worried about, and this is where some of the one-legged swings I see fail (and is also my DD's biggest issue), is you need to be in a balanced position at launch. In sports it is very difficult to execute an athletic move (such as a swing launch) efficiently if you are not balanced.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali

Then why not call a spade a spade. If weight has shifted, and 2 legs are being used before launch correct? What’s the need to label it rear legged? Why not say what is actually happening? Dynamic balance maybe or 50/50 or ‘in the middle’ those seem way more accurate than ‘rear legged’ right? I like FYB. I feel like it best represents what’s actually happening. Jmo.

Why not a 2.0? ... most of these terms were used 10 years ago and are not what is ACTUALLY happening. Why not correctly label them? Over at BBD some have even abandoned some terms since they have either now learned to focus on the actual or figured out the term being used was incorrect.
i myself don’t use many of the old terms because I don’t find them very accurate.

aren’t we always trying to evolve?

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Then why not call a spade a spade. If weight has shifted, and 2 legs are being used before launch correct? What’s the need to label it rear legged? Why not say what is actually happening? Dynamic balance maybe or 50/50 or ‘in the middle’ those seem way more accurate than ‘rear legged’ right? I like FYB. I feel like it best represents what’s actually happening. Jmo.

Why not a 2.0? ... most of these terms were used 10 years ago and are not what is ACTUALLY happening. Why not correctly label them? Over at BBD some have even abandoned some terms since they have either now learned to focus on the actual or figured out the term being used was incorrect.
i myself don’t use many of the old terms because I don’t find them very accurate.

aren’t we always trying to evolve?

You missed the point about what what rear legged really is. Which honestly is not a surprise. You know what it means but choose to continue with the charade.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
When somebody discusses something shifting they are inherently talking about a position in space which is why it makes no sense biomechanically to talk about your weight shifting since weight has no position associated with it. In your first paragraph that is a discussion of the center of pressure (COP) shifting from near the back foot (or at the back foot when the front foot is in the air) to near the front foot after launch (or at the front foot if the back foot comes off the ground). The whole discussion of 1-leggedness really is just a discussion about whether the COP should be closer to the back foot at launch or more aligned with the COM which should be close to the centerline of the body if one is balanced at launch.

To me the first thing one needs to be worried about, and this is where some of the one-legged swings I see fail (and is also my DD's biggest issue), is you need to be in a balanced position at launch. In sports it is very difficult to execute an athletic move (such as a swing launch) efficiently if you are not balanced.

Great stuff @pattar . And I do agree with you concerning balance. I prefer to refer to it as dynamic balance.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
FP26

It might be true he isn’t in the launch position until he shifts forward. Although he has the geometry of the launch position and then adds pre swing rhythm to that position.

Jun 8, 2016
Great stuff @pattar . And I do agree with you concerning balance. I prefer to refer to it as dynamic balance.
That is fine but whatever you call it actually isn't too difficult to see. What I see in the pros which some call 1-legged are hitters who have a COP nearer their back foot at launch (watch the front leg of most pros..it will straighten some after launch as the leg reacts to the ground force created by the swing) but who are also in a balanced position What I see from some amateurs who are "1-legged" (based upon my above definition) is an unbalanced position at launch.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802