No Softball in Illinois this Summer?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 25, 2016
Looks like they moved 12u and 10u USA state away from Normal to Pekin. Besides the obvious downgrade with facilities they also dropped it from a 4gg to a 3gg which is an absolute travesty for a 4 day tournament. Bunch of sitting around. And what’s worse is they scheduled it on July 4th weekend which is the same weekend as Top Gun in Peoria and PGF in Indy. Total bummer!!

Is the Top Gun on the 4th of July still on? We were planning on playing in it, but wasn't sure what phase Illinois would be in.

Feb 15, 2017
Is the Top Gun on the 4th of July still on? We were planning on playing in it, but wasn't sure what phase Illinois would be in.

Great question. I’ve not heard anything to indicate its not. I know the teams that practice at LSSC are back to practicing at the complex and that thing cost a fortune. I would think if Illinois hits phase 4 by end of June as it appears then they will likely play it. We hav been playing in MO with ZERO issues.

Sep 9, 2019
They added 2 16u slots from open 14u spots for us to get in 2 weeks ago since another change forced us out of the pgf the last weekend. So fingers crossed. Compuware Michigan is another casualty.

May 29, 2015
Thanks for the update Blue! We are in both the Summer Slam and 16A tournaments. Was hoping we could get those in. Fingers crossed.

Let me know! I've had a couple of requests to work them, but I am going to sit this year out. Even without the pandemic debate, I started looking at the scenario and it isn't worth it for me to spend $200 registering for the limited work I would get out of it this year.

If things are calm, I may come watch!

May 29, 2015
Looks like they moved 12u and 10u USA state away from Normal to Pekin. Besides the obvious downgrade with facilities they also dropped it from a 4gg to a 3gg which is an absolute travesty for a 4 day tournament. Bunch of sitting around. And what’s worse is they scheduled it on July 4th weekend which is the same weekend as Top Gun in Peoria and PGF in Indy. Total bummer!!

That doesn't surprise me one bit. I have never understood why USA Softball is so beholden to some of these "lesser" facilities or places that do not host many tournaments. (I know why, I just fail to comprehend how it makes good sense.)

My guess is the City of Normal has said "No" but USA Softball can't pass up a few bucks, so they'll always find somebody to say "Yes."

Dec 11, 2010
The worst thing about Pekin is the dugouts. If they would reconfigure them it would help a ton.

Jun 6, 2018
Chicago moves to Phase 3 on Wednesday, so we're going to start our practices then. There are a bunch of guidelines to follow, but we'll at least be able to start.

I wish they'd announce whether Phase 4 will allow for games. If so, we have something to look forward to. If not, we know a season is out of the question and we can plan from there.

This seems to be the question no one knows how Mr. Pritzker will rule on. If he follows Indiana's order 20-28 then he can simply state that no games/tournaments are allowed.

My guess is two things will factor in to the decision, are the numbers coming down all of June throughout the state? Is there a ray of hope to play high school football in the fall?

If those two answers are yes then we likely see tournaments in July.

But - the big monkeywrench that Mr. Pritzker has as his fallback is he likely can say that tracing of the infected is not up to the Phase 4 requirement and just keep Illinois in phase 3 (most likely scenario).

Apr 1, 2017
This seems to be the question no one knows how Mr. Pritzker will rule on. If he follows Indiana's order 20-28 then he can simply state that no games/tournaments are allowed.

My guess is two things will factor in to the decision, are the numbers coming down all of June throughout the state? Is there a ray of hope to play high school football in the fall?

But - the big monkeywrench that Mr. Pritzker has as his fallback is he likely can say that tracing of the infected is not up to the Phase 4 requirement and just keep Illinois in phase 3 (most likely scenario).

Phase 4 should allow games, but that doesn't necessarily mean tournaments.

Also, it's not just whether or not we reach 'Phase 4', it's also up to the different entities that own the fields allowing them to be used. We have run into a problem with our orgs main field (school district property). Phase 3 allows groups under 10, so we started practicing Saturday with a "split squad" setup. School district emailed our president Monday saying that although groups of ten are allowed in the state, they have decided to keep all facilities closed until phase 4.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago

And the IHSA once against delayed their announcement, though it sounds like it's more the IDPH causing the delays. I think once those guidelines are released we'll have a better idea of whether games (maybe not large tournaments) will be allowed in Phase 4.

May 29, 2015
That is exactly the holdup on an IHSA announcement. Keep in mind, I don't believe IHSA can work in "regions" unlike counties or other organizations. It is all "Go/No Go".

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802