No Softball in Illinois this Summer?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 11, 2010
If you can’t even marginally deal with the public without causing problems, if your people skills are that weak, you shouldn’t be dealing with the public. That isn’t the right job for you.

This topic really irritates me because most of the problem of not having people skills in my opinion is laziness. People who give no effort to solve problems are lazy and they are the ones bitching about the public when THEY are the problem.

It is worse when these types of employees are empowered by their supervisors. Shenanigans is what results.

Feb 15, 2017
Absolutely. When I come walking up carrying a coaches bag, bownet and bucket and Im holding my badge up for you to clearly see as I slow down so you can glance and give me the head nod and you have to scream at me to stop and frisk me down we have a problem. Would I carry all that crap in with a fake badge just to skirt a $5 gate fee. Come on - the problem comes down to reasonableness. As we all know some people are black and white and some people are reasonable. Hire people that can make judgment calls like the situation I just described and the situation takes care of itself.

Apr 1, 2017
Our first practice is next Saturday. Will need to “split squad” groups, but still nice to get back together.

looks like June 28th would be earliest a game could be played in Illinois.

Apr 1, 2017
Apr 1, 2017
I will add, there are a few close by, out of state events we are considering in mid to late June. We aren’t looking to run to Wisconsin on June 1st. Just going to practice a couple weeks and see how things go.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
If you can’t even marginally deal with the public without causing problems, if your people skills are that weak, you shouldn’t be dealing with the public. That isn’t the right job for you.

This topic really irritates me because most of the problem of not having people skills in my opinion is laziness. People who give no effort to solve problems are lazy and they are the ones bitching about the public when THEY are the problem.

It is worse when these types of employees are empowered by their supervisors. Shenanigans is what results.
True about many jobs, volunteers,
.....and coaches

May 27, 2013
Just thought I’d share as I’ve been on both sides of this. Back when I was in college I worked for a car parking company that did valet as well as parking at large events. I traveled with them across the country to work the U.S. Open golf tourney, the Women’s and Senior Opens, the U.S. Amateur, Lollapalooza, HORDE festival, as well as many other big name events. All I can say is some people never feel that the rules apply to them, and when you try to enforce them all hell can break loose. I’ve been cursed at, spit on, and had cups of water or alcohol thrown at me. Just keep in mind that I was a late teen, early 20 something year old female when I did this job. I had grown men get in my face and start yelling at me while I was just trying to kindly ask them to move from the handicapped parking area since they clearly didn’t have a hang tag or license plate designating them to park in such an area. Their argument being that there were plenty of empty spaces there and I was just trying to feel important by asking them to move. Ummmm........no, I was just trying to do the job I was instructed to do, and believe me, minimum wage was not worth dealing with that BS. I also would get the brunt of people’s frustration with having to park so far away, with them having to pay so much to park, with them having to park their Porsche on grass, etc. Yeah, sorry, above my pay grade.

Having been on that side of things, I tend to be a little bit more patient and understanding with the people who are just trying to do their job. Now if the workers/volunteers get nasty with the public coming to the tourney for no apparent reason, then yes, they are absolutely wrong, and they should not have a job dealing with the public.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28