No Softball in Illinois this Summer?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 29, 2015
Before you cite Sweden, do you know their numbers?

As of today: Sweden has 3,175 deaths from COVID-19. The United States has 78,198 deaths from the virus.

Sounds good, right?

Sweden has a population of 10.2 million people.

The US has a population of 328.2 million people.

Sweden has lost one in every 3,213 people to the virus, while the US has lost one in 4,197 people.

Sweden has a higher death rate than the US.

For perspective:
North Carolina has 10.5 million people and 507 deaths.
Sweden has 10.2 million people and 3,175.

Let data drive the decision making. Sweden is your big-bat, switch-hitting, #1 pitcher/SS of a girl who ends up looking for a new team every year. Sounds good when you don’t know what you are really getting, but the story got her on a team!

May 27, 2013
I really try not to jump into these conversations because people never seem to want to believe me anyway. They must think I make this shi* up or have some sort of agenda because they, personally, haven’t experienced it either themselves or secondhand through people they know who are healthcare workers. Have all hospitals been overwhelmed? No, of course not. But I can tell you firsthand that mine has been. Our ICU had to extend it‘s services to other floors to have enough room to treat all the Covid + admissions. Our orthopedic floor was completely shut down to take in more Covid cases. Our OR typically handles about 50+ surgeries per day and we were down to maybe 10-20 per day, if that. Nurse anesthetists were redeployed to the Covid floors due to all the intubations that needed to be done and to assist the nurses with people on vents. We were at a critical point with ventilators where anesthesia machines were being used as vents.

To say hospitals haven’t been overwhelmed is very defeating to those of us who have to work in that type of environment on a daily basis (I’m not calling out anyone specifically because I know it’s been posted by many different people, and not just here on DFP, but all over the internets). Believe me, I get it, to the majority on here I’m just some random stranger behind a keyboard, so who’s to say I‘m even being honest. That’s fine, believe what you want. When I was still at my other job a little over a month ago I’d probably think along the same lines. However, this virus is real, and it’s scary to see what it can do. The highlight of my week was cheering on a fellow employee (younger and healthier than me) who got discharged after a 40+ day stay in the hospital due to Covid.

I do hope things can open back up soon just as much as anyone else on here, and I pray that it doesn’t lead to more cases. I guess only time will tell. Thanks if you even read this far.

ETA: Oh, and I miss softball tremendously!! It’s been a part of my life since I was 7.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2013
How many times do I have to do this?

If you want to talk politics, go to.reddit.com.
Wait, MY post was removed? WHAT part of my post was political?!?!?! In a simple reply to the post above, I stated a flat out fact. We will face a 2nd wave. Sweden will not.

Oct 14, 2019
Softball is really fun. Illinois is awesome. Sluggers and his buddies are really smart.

Oct 14, 2019
Before you cite Sweden, do you know their numbers?

As of today: Sweden has 3,175 deaths from COVID-19. The United States has 78,198 deaths from the virus.

Sounds good, right?

Sweden has a population of 10.2 million people.

The US has a population of 328.2 million people.

Sweden has lost one in every 3,213 people to the virus, while the US has lost one in 4,197 people.

Sweden has a higher death rate than the US.

For perspective:
North Carolina has 10.5 million people and 507 deaths.
Sweden has 10.2 million people and 3,175.

Let data drive the decision making. Sweden is your big-bat, switch-hitting, #1 pitcher/SS of a girl who ends up looking for a new team every year. Sounds good when you don’t know what you are really getting, but the story got her on a team!

A brilliant post!

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Final warning. We are not here to solve the current crisis, or even debate whether it is a crisis. We're here to talk softball. Please keep the discussion to softball-related topics. As Ray said, if you want to debate the rest of it take it to reddit. Or Facebook. Plenty of that going on there.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee