No practices of any kind-a message from our district

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
No pitcher in the world can move a regular ball like a wiffle ball in the wind.
Maybe thats what helped my hitting so much growing up because we did it all the time! :)

Certainly helps training hitters all these years.
Imagine very few coaches or anyone for that matter throwing front toss that can put movement on the ball!
( except pitchers;))
Use resources! WooHoo!!!!!

May 29, 2015
Some good information for Illinois from the IHSA.

SPRING SPORT NON-SCHOOL PARTICIPATION
Q: Can a student-athlete who is competing in a spring sport (baseball, softball, track, etc.) for their high school practice or play that sport with their non-school team, of the same sport, (i.e. travel or club team) while school is closed?
A: No. IHSA by-laws do not allow a student-athlete who is in-season to participate on a club or travel team, of the same sport, and then return to play for their high school team. If a student-athlete in this situation chooses to participate with their non-school team during the school closure, they would not be able to return to their high school team if/when the high school season resumes.

FALL/WINTER SPORT NON-SCHOOL PARTICIPATION
Q: Can a student-athlete who is competing in a spring sport (baseball, softball, track, etc.) for their high school practice or play a fall or winter sport (i.e. basketball or girls volleyball) with their non-school team (i.e. travel or club team) while school is closed?
A: Yes. IHSA by-laws allow a student-athlete to participate on a non-school team if that sport is not currently in-season at the high school level.

INDIVIDUAL LESSONS #1
Q: Can a spring sport student-athlete take personal lessons while school is closed? Can the personal lessons be taught by their high school coach?
A: Personal lessons are permitted throughout the school year and during the summer. The high school coach may provide personal lessons only if this is part of his/her livelihood and provided to students other than just those attending the high school where he/she coaches.

INDIVIDUAL LESSONS #2
Q: Can personal lessons be taught by their non-school team coach, and can they occur at the non-school team facility?
A: Yes. As long as the personal lessons are not part of a non-school team practice or competition. Additionally, neither the high school coach nor the school can require or arrange for their student- athletes to receive personal lessons from a non-school coach. Any such lessons should be limited to two players from one high school at a single lesson.

Dec 11, 2010
@The Man In Blue

From individual lessons #2: Any such lessons should be limited to two players from one high school at a single lesson.

Yikes! Talk about a word that makes the rest of the sentence unenforceable! Maybe the actual wording in the rule is better.

For whatever it’s worth , I quit doing lessons when they shut down the schools. Seemed like the right thing to do. Had one parent not very happy, I couldn’t care less.

Also our org suspended all practices for the players not in hs.

May 29, 2015
I always get a kick out of arguing the semantics (shall vs. may, can vs. will, etc.) and I am bored for content ... 😋

Should, to me, is enforceable and pretty clear. You should follow the rules. That doesn’t mean you don’t have to, it just means be prepared for consequences if you don’t.

Aug 25, 2019
I always get a kick out of arguing the semantics (shall vs. may, can vs. will, etc.) and I am bored for content ... 😋

Should, to me, is enforceable and pretty clear. You should follow the rules. That doesn’t mean you don’t have to, it just means be prepared for consequences if you don’t.
Actually TMIB, "Shall" is the enforceable word that must be done. "Should" is more of a strong recommendation.

NBECoach

Learning everyday
Aug 9, 2018
Our AD has told all the coaches in all sports that there can be no sports related contact with athletes. (Some of the teachers are coaches teaching eletronically) There will be no using school facilities .

"The district office has set the expectation that staff only access their classroom/learning spaces. In other words areas such as the gym, fitness center, track, pool, practice fields etc., are off limits until further notice. No one should access facilities either indoors or out door. NO EXCEPTIONS!"

As far as I know the TB teams in this area have also shutdown activities for now anyways,

May 29, 2015
Actually TMIB, "Shall" is the enforceable word that must be done. "Should" is more of a strong recommendation.

That's what I (thought) I said! :p

Shall is a requirement.
Should relates to expectations and your actions.

Shall places limitations. Should recognizes I can't force your behavior, but I can still penalize you for it afterwards.

May 29, 2015
Illinois schools closed through April 30 ... here is IHSA’s latest:

Even though Illinois schools will remain closed through April 30th following the March 31st announcement by Illinois Governor JB Pritzker, we remain optimistic that a May 1 return to school, followed by a to-be-determined acclimatization practice period, can still result in a truncated spring season that culminates with IHSA State Series tournaments and the crowning of state champions in June.

In its discussions thus far, the IHSA Board of Directors has been highly supportive of creating an exemption to the IHSA Season Limitation By-law to allow spring sports to play into late June, but competing into or beyond July is not being considered at this time.

We are also realistic in recognizing that any further school postponements, or the cessation of physical school attendance for the remainder of the year, will almost certainly result in the cancellation of all remaining IHSA sports and activities this school year.

Sep 21, 2017
PA
PA has went to the phrase "until further notice" as to how long school districts will be closed. All spring sports are still considered postponed, as to hold on to hope of an abbreviated regular season and post season.

As per the topic, the first day PA shut schools, my district closed all facilities. We actually get one scrimmage in the Thursday before everything shut down. That seems so long ago...

May 29, 2015
PA has went to the phrase "until further notice" as to how long school districts will be closed. All spring sports are still considered postponed, as to hold on to hope of an abbreviated regular season and post season.

Interesting topic (or question) ...

I understand why organizations put out a target date, even if it gets changed. It helps to alleviate fear and provide people with something tangible to look forward to. However, how many times can you change that before people lose confidence?

In my previous position we struggled back and forth with that while working with providing customers restoration times during power outages. Some leaders did not want to give customers estimates, mainly because they "didn't want to appear be wrong if we have to move it". Others felt it was better to provide estimates so people could plan, and we adjust is as needed.

SO ... what is your personal preference (both in general and in relation to playing softball)?
Would you rather have a target date that gets moved? Or would you rather have an indefinite announcement?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802