No power in swing, help! 12U

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 28, 2020
Second swing looks much better...you said no power I can't imagine if she connected properly with that second swing that ball wouldn't go out of the infield. She does preload which imo is OK just a style thing, she looks OK toe touch doesn't seem to start swinging to soon, she is reaching back as she brings her front leg forward....might be nice to see her connect on a pitch. Again not enough to completely analyze her swing but doesn't look like a weak handsy type swing that is going to generate a bunch of dribblers to the infield....yeah just so new post that's not a weak dribbler

Just out of curiosity how big is she and what size bat is she swinging?

She is about 100 lbs, 5 feet. She has 31 inch bat, not sure the weight but one of the coaches thought it might be too light. My husband wants to get her a 32 - 11.

Aug 2, 2019
That second one looks like the ball stopped the bat. I'm thinking a girl that size should be swinging at least a 31 -10. 32 -11 or 32-10 would be in the ball park as well.
Is it a high end bat? My DD went from the $30 aluminum Easton they sell at target, to a premium bat and the difference was more than I would have ever expected. Another girl on DDs team just jumped from a 30 -12 to a 31-11 and the performance increase was very noticeable.

Her swing doesn't look that bad, and the ball speed doesn't seem to match what I'd expect from the swing speed, so I'm going to guess you've got an under performing, and undersized bat. If she just moved to 12U and this issue became more apparent after the move, that would be more supporting evidence that it's the bat.

Sep 29, 2014
That second one looks like the ball stopped the bat. I'm thinking a girl that size should be swinging at least a 31 -10. 32 -11 or 32-10 would be in the ball park as well.
Is it a high end bat? My DD went from the $30 aluminum Easton they sell at target, to a premium bat and the difference was more than I would have ever expected. Another girl on DDs team just jumped from a 30 -12 to a 31-11 and the performance increase was very noticeable.

Her swing doesn't look that bad, and the ball speed doesn't seem to match what I'd expect from the swing speed, so I'm going to guess you've got an under performing, and undersized bat. If she just moved to 12U and this issue became more apparent after the move, that would be more supporting evidence that it's the bat.
Yeah that was kinda why I asked was just odd looking how the bat just seemed to decelerate at contact versus swing through. I think a 31 drop 10 should be fine at her size if it's decent quality. now if its a drop 12 or 13 that might explain things but might take her a while to get used to the increase weight.

Does she see a hitting coach? what does he say about her swing? otherwise be happy to break down swing some more just need the standard front facing shot with actual video and not a gif.

May 21, 2014
2 things.
2nd swing looks like back knee is bleeding outside the back foot.
Separation is power and power is separation. Have to understand how to get this into her swing to maximize her power.

oh and as mentioned get rid of the pause between load and stride. Once that momentum is stopped it takes more energy to start from rest.

Jan 28, 2020
Yeah that was kinda why I asked was just odd looking how the bat just seemed to decelerate at contact versus swing through. I think a 31 drop 10 should be fine at her size if it's decent quality. now if its a drop 12 or 13 that might explain things but might take her a while to get used to the increase weight.

Does she see a hitting coach? what does he say about her swing? otherwise be happy to break down swing some more just need the standard front facing shot with actual video and not a gif.

She does have a hitting coach but it is in a group setting and her schedule just changed with HS ball so not sure when she can see her again.

That would be helpful, I will work on getting the actual video. Thanks.

Jan 28, 2020
2 things.
2nd swing looks like back knee is bleeding outside the back foot.
Separation is power and power is separation. Have to understand how to get this into her swing to maximize her power.

oh and as mentioned get rid of the pause between load and stride. Once that momentum is stopped it takes more energy to start from rest.
Sorry what does back knee bleeding outside the back foot mean?

Sep 29, 2014
Sorry what does back knee bleeding outside the back foot mean?
If you stand looking at a batter the proper athletic position it is always knees inside the feet. In other words you don't want your back knee to be behind your back foot. Whether its golf, tennis or even just doing a proper front lunge you never really want your knees outside of or out over your feet....really need a better angle to see if this is the case, second swing looks close but I think she might actually be bending knee forward and not back just hard to tell from angle

I feel like a lot of her issues are coming from striding out on the front foot so far. It seems to be stretching her out where her hips can’t fully rotate. If front foot planted closer it could help force left hip back creating more torque and seperation. Nose and belt buckel should be more balanced between front foot and rear foot. To far forward and you get weak ground balls to far back a lot of pop ups. Then there is the timing aspect uh dad she needs a lot more live pitching or pitching machine from full distance. She is close just keep practicing.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
"The bat stops" Could have something to do with intent. What does she intend on doing when she steps into the box? Her intentions should not be, make contact. Her intentions should be to drive it over the CFs head. Not to it, but thru it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28