No power in swing, help! 12U

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 28, 2020
giphy.gif

All back/sway, reach with the front foot/leg and swing with the arms. Sequence or lack of a sequence is off. Needs to use her rear side or at least her core. A to C swing not a down to and up through swing. That being said get a 'good' hitting instructor (good luck) or learn as much as YOU can and your DD could be a really good hitter. DD has the makings of a good swing.
giphy.gif

Just think if your DD knew how to 'stay back'/get 'sat' what she would have been able to do to this pitch.
Thanks! She is a pitcher too.....soooo finding the time and good hitting coach that fits into her schedule is tough!

Nov 16, 2017
So I think her swing is too East West. I want to see the knob of the bat go to where the front elbow is. We went over this in an earlier thread and I think when listening to guys like Trout that getting a South to North down the train tracks and not off the tracks attack is a lot of the secret sauce. They need to know to go forward and not around at least for the first foot of the knob path.

Apr 28, 2019

Ok that’s tough to see but I think I saw what I need to see to pass along some helpful info.

I like the stance, I like the load, I don’t like the swing. She is reaching for the call and slapping the ball with her wrists.

She needs to bring her hands to the ball and step to the ball and follow through with a fast level swing. She is not bringing any power to the ball because she is off balance and too extended when she makes contact.

It almost looks like she is just trying to make contact and not trying to hit the ball hard. The mindset should be to swing fast, swing level, and swing hard. Attack the ball and punish it!!!

Jun 8, 2016
Thanks! She is a pitcher too.....soooo finding the time and good hitting coach that fits into her schedule is tough!
Best advice I can give you is double the number of swings she takes a week and see what happens. Does she have some things which could be improved? Yes and others have done a good job of pointing them out but I don't see any of them being so bad that some additional work (and her just getting older) won't go a long way...

Jan 28, 2020
Ok that’s tough to see but I think I saw what I need to see to pass along some helpful info.

I like the stance, I like the load, I don’t like the swing. She is reaching for the call and slapping the ball with her wrists.

She needs to bring her hands to the ball and step to the ball and follow through with a fast level swing. She is not bringing any power to the ball because she is off balance and too extended when she makes contact.

It almost looks like she is just trying to make contact and not trying to hit the ball hard. The mindset should be to swing fast, swing level, and swing hard. Attack the ball and punish it!!!
I agree, she usually doesn't reach that much but the pitch was slow and she was not patient. Maybe not a good video of her swing.

Jan 28, 2020
She is also loading her back knee and not her back hip.

Check out the Donaldson video in this page.

How can you tell? Her coach is always wanting them to do knee drives at home. Need to explain to her the difference.

Nov 16, 2017
How can you tell? Her coach is always wanting them to do knee drives at home. Need to explain to her the difference.

Her weight is going into her knee here and not her back heel\hip. Watch for it here.

Her hip does not coil over her femur. This is where the timing issues stem from. I think the knee should be straightening on the load if anything.

Watch this video and pay attention to his back leg. Especially around the 0:32 mark.

Watch how Donaldson pick his foot and and relaxes, gravity starts pulling him forward. If your DD picked up her foot and relaxed she would fall backwards toward the catcher. You need to create a natural move forward that can be timed with the pitcher. To do this you have to be in your hip/heel and not your knee.

Attachments

• 1581615410751.png
    1581615410751.png
    76.1 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Sep 29, 2014
I'm not sure I'm 100% on board, granted the pre load makes it look different since we are used to seeing it together.

BUT focus on what is happening as her front foot comes forward, look at the back hip area, you can kind of gauge off her uniform white stripe. As she loads or slides back you see the white strip does not move it is simply a slide. Now as her front foot goes forward she does get good separation and stretch you can see the stripe turn now whether or not it is a true coil versus just a twist I can't quite tell because of distance and angle but she is at least trying to engage her lower body. Am I a huge fan of the pre load and could should do better probably but I'm not sure the lack of coil analysis is spot on.

HOWEVER as stated in an earlier post I'm not making any real changes or suggestions based on these videos. A front facing actual video not gif would be required to really make 100% sure what is going on.

Jan 28, 2020
I'm not sure I'm 100% on board, granted the pre load makes it look different since we are used to seeing it together.

BUT focus on what is happening as her front foot comes forward, look at the back hip area, you can kind of gauge off her uniform white stripe. As she loads or slides back you see the white strip does not move it is simply a slide. Now as her front foot goes forward she does get good separation and stretch you can see the stripe turn now whether or not it is a true coil versus just a twist I can't quite tell because of distance and angle but she is at least trying to engage her lower body. Am I a huge fan of the pre load and could should do better probably but I'm not sure the lack of coil analysis is spot on.

HOWEVER as stated in an earlier post I'm not making any real changes or suggestions based on these videos. A front facing actual video not gif would be required to really make 100% sure what is going on.
Does this work?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee