No live streaming allowed at tournament?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 6, 2013
So I have friends at the Tulsa Elite invite. They were live streaming their games on Thursday and Friday but today they put out a message that the tournament has shut down their live stream citing copy right. Now, they do have Flo Softball there streaming every game but the kicker is that people have to pay/subscribe to access the stream. I’m sure Tulsa Elite is getting a kick back for the streaming - at least that is my guess as to why they don’t want teams to live stream their own games. My question though is that legal/reasonable? I plan on live streaming DD’s games and want to know what my recourse is if I’m told I can’t live stream?

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Geeez,...
Shouldn't the players get paid then?!!!

ironical sarcasm intended

Dec 11, 2010
Chisel every last dime out of parents. I knew this day was coming.

Nice timing. Everyone is trying to get video during the dead period. At exposure tournaments.

I subscribed to a service last fall (it was ballertv.com) so I could screen record footage for the players. It wasn’t Flo, the name escapes me. Out of six games, I actually got two games where the camera was not blocked by chain link or was labeled correctly. (The games labeled as ours... were some other team.)

Thanks for finding a new way to rip off parents.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
We played in a TCS tournament last year where BallerTV was filming. Since I had to work, I subscribed for the tournament for something like $35. Well, I couldn't view a single game because apparently the cameras couldn't handle the Georgia heat and crapped out. I complained and got my money back. But, the point is, technical problems happen and right now, video is IMPERATIVE for recruiting. If that happened and college coaches weren't able to view the games, that would be infuriating. I know we're still planning to film and put on FB live on our team's page.

Jul 2, 2013
Your friends are correct. We were there and starting on Saturday they posted signs on the fences saying live streaming was prohibited and that only FloSoftball had rights to do it. I'm sure they had a deal with Tulsa Elite for exclusivity.

It did eliminate one annoying thing. The bleachers were roped off and parents were asked to stay in the grass areas down the foul fences or in the outfield. The bleachers and area behind the plate were for college coaches and scorekeepers. Almost every team we played had 2-4 cameras on the fence streaming or recording. That's fine, but it led to 2-4 dads standing right behind the camera checking the picture and battery the entire time. Maybe tournaments should allow one camera on the fence per team and the team is responsible for allowing access for parents and players?

I'm sure that last question will get things thrown at me.

Aug 6, 2013
Your friends are correct. We were there and starting on Saturday they posted signs on the fences saying live streaming was prohibited and that only FloSoftball had rights to do it. I'm sure they had a deal with Tulsa Elite for exclusivity.
So here is the next kicker. I just ran across this just now.....
D06225A1-17D9-4BC7-B5DD-4371EECD2813.jpeg

May 29, 2015
So I have friends at the Tulsa Elite invite. They were live streaming their games on Thursday and Friday but today they put out a message that the tournament has shut down their live stream citing copy right. Now, they do have Flo Softball there streaming every game but the kicker is that people have to pay/subscribe to access the stream. I’m sure Tulsa Elite is getting a kick back for the streaming - at least that is my guess as to why they don’t want teams to live stream their own games. My question though is that legal/reasonable? I plan on live streaming DD’s games and want to know what my recourse is if I’m told I can’t live stream?

That is a big negatory there Ghost Rider* ... Flo Softball holds a copyright claim on THEIR stream, not the game itself. They did not create the content nor did Tulsa Elite.

While your coach may have signed a contract that had language buried in it that gives Flo Softball and Tulsa Elite permission to broadcast the games, I am pretty sure they don't have individual parental releases to use broadcast images of their minor children for commercial gain.

An article on photographs from the National Youth Sports Alliance: https://www.nays.org/sklive/ask-the...he-law-how-photos-of-youth-athletes-are-used/

*Yes, that's two quotes mixed into one, but that's what makes it fun.

Jul 2, 2013
That is a big negatory there Ghost Rider* ... Flo Softball holds a copyright claim on THEIR stream, not the game itself. They did not create the content nor did Tulsa Elite.

While your coach may have signed a contract that had language buried in it that gives Flo Softball and Tulsa Elite permission to broadcast the games, I am pretty sure they don't have individual parental releases to use broadcast images of their minor children for commercial gain.

An article on photographs from the National Youth Sports Alliance: https://www.nays.org/sklive/ask-the...he-law-how-photos-of-youth-athletes-are-used/

*Yes, that's two quotes mixed into one, but that's what makes it fun.

Blue,

I'm sure you are right. They posted those signs hoping people would take them seriously. They have no way of knowing who was streaming anyway unless they were monitoring Facebook pages for all of the teams and families.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802