NICKNAMES everyones NICKNAME

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 6, 2018
MN
My daughter's is Cheeks. When she was a baby she had no butt so her diaper would always fall down. As she grew up she was always smiling with big cheeks and it carried into softball. She even smiles while she is pitching...lol.

Last edited:

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Fun responses and stories!!!

Here's a couple more,

Training a team that I hadnt worked with before... was pointing out something one player was doing. She had her hair dyed a deep red color and all her hair twisted and swirled into a bun on the top of her head. I ended up calling her "Cinnabun" in front of the whole team.
Which apparently stuck.

Had a catching student for years who was 5'10 200 lb solid oak tree, strong player. Who sometimes would just stand up and throw
(no burst) because she could throw really hard at a younger age became a hard habit to break...so I used to remind her ....you're going to have to be more explosive and faster. You can't just stand up and be "Godzilla."
"Big and slow"

So Godzilla became a reminder for adding quickness.
Most others thought it was because her size was terrifying :)

Oct 6, 2015
My Daughter's are twins (pitcher and a catcher) (14U). Around the end of 10U my pitcher found her own "style" of motion after trying all of her favorite college pitcher's movements. When she tried it out at practice for the first time one of her teammates made the comment "Wow!! She looks like a dragon!" It's stuck ever since. She even has a custom Nokona with "The Dragon" stitched in it.

We tried to get her sister to be Night Hawk (Step Brothers)...but it didn't stick. She ended up officially becoming "Gunner" as she threw out the majority of girls trying to steal in 13's. Her and her shortstop were Goose and Maverick for a while because they were ridiculously in tune with each other!

Oct 6, 2015
Also, as a coach who's been around the same families for years, I LOVE that I mostly know their kids by their nicknames. Sometimes it takes a few seconds to remember their actual names. Some of my favorite nicknames of my players over the years have been: Smiles, Wheels, Hurt, Money, Fancy, OJ, and Donuts. Donuts was in 6u and wore a pair of leggings covered in a donut print...stuck ever since. lol

Oct 6, 2015
My DD's first name starts with T, she was called T for a time until the girls started calling her T-Bone, so that's what it is now... You can't give yourself a nickname, one has to be given to you.

Amen to that! It's got to be EARNED!!! lol

GIMNEPIWO

GIMNEPIWO
Dec 9, 2017
VA
I am the king of nicknames! Many of the girls that I have coached since they were 10 or 11 are now off to college. Typically it takes a year to find the right nickname.

We've got...

Cornbread (my daughter)
Marsha Brady
Socks
Bubbles
Gabby
Happy
Tinkles
Special
Hooooski
TL
M.C.
Mc Dreamie
M and M
Cannoli
Stinky
Foghat
Water Bottles

and a bunch more that my brain can't process at the moment.

Each one has a particular story of how the name came to be.
Pizmaster ????? .... Are there many people telling you that you are the "King Of Nicknames" ? LMAO

Jun 23, 2018
Texas
My DD asked me about a wanting a softball nickname when she 1st started 10U. I told her that she couldn't just pick one, she would have to earn one. A couple months later she earned "Mo" and it has stuck for 2 1/2 years. It's just short for Morgan, but she loves it.

Back in 8U Allstars, we had a girl earn the name "Chicken Nugget". It wasn't just because she was small, but more of what happened when she showed up to practice having just finished a box and then ran a couple warm-up laps.

Sep 21, 2017
PA
"Arkansas" played for me a few years ago. Her last name was Rockey, of course everyone called her Rock. She also wasn't the biggest kid, so her teammates called her Little Rock...so naturally, one day at practice I yelled something her way that began with "Let's go, Arkansas...". We don't live ANYWHERE NEAR Arkansas. After about 15 seconds of everyone standing around with a dumb look on their face someone finally says "Oh, Little Rock, I get it!" 🤦‍♂️

May 22, 2015
Illinois
Cannonball calls my DD Louie because she bats left handed. The first time she took hitting with him and he called her that she looked at me puzzled lol.

Her team mates generally call her M or Strubi just as shorter versions of her name. I was Strubi growing up and my oldest boy gets called that by his football team mates as well.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802