NICKNAMES everyones NICKNAME

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Pizmaster ????? .... Are there many people telling you that you are the "King Of Nicknames" ? LMAO
Yeah...EVERY player I coach gets one. It can be a play on their name or something they do that is a point of reference. Usually they are on the team for a few weeks before I find the "right" name. The girls love it and so do the parents.

Mar 28, 2020
Many moons ago my daughter had a friend that didn't want to play sports but all she did was smile....so I started calling her smiley. ....about five years ago I was at a college softball tournament and the announcer says up to bat for prairie view a&m is smiley....I taught oh wow a girl actually named smiley....no it was my daughter's friend......smiley was her official softball name.....it was awesome watching her play...then we followed her the rest of her career.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
DD's nickname growing up was Peanut. She was always in the 99 percentile of growth so she was anything but small.

Mine is Mufasa. DD was on the 8U rec team I coached at the time and Disney's Lion King was popular. When you have 15 6-8 YO's yelling " MOM! " or " DAD! " from the dugout during a game constantly, you learn to ignore it. In the middle of a game, DD wanted me for whatever reason. She was calling " Dad, Dad! " and of course I ignored it. After failing to get my attention with ' Dad!," and since we had just watched The Lion King the previous night (for what seemed like the 200th time) she yelled ' Mufasa! " I immediately turned to her and that nickname has been with me since.

JOHNN

Just a dad of 3 girls
Aug 5, 2019
South Louisiana
I have both good and bad experiences with nicknames.....

The bad that ended up turning good: My nickname at work (a former employer) for years was Turtle. I wasn’t fond of it at all bc one of my managers (that I truly hated with a passion) came up with it. He used to always remark that I didn’t work fast enough so that’s why he would call me that. One day he decided he was going to ride with me as we made service calls and needless to say I wasn’t very happy at all. After getting tired of his constant ribbing and comments about me working too slow I had enough and told him that at the next service call he needed to show me how it was done since “I was so slow”. So after he serviced and cleaned their machine I told him sure he was fast but I’d never leave a customers machine as dirty as he did. Obviously he didn’t like that but the best part was when we went to get the work order signed, he made a snarky comment, “Yeah I’m in the field today to show Turtle how to get things done a lot faster”. The look on his face was priceless when the shop manager commented that he could see that the service was done but he can’t sign anything until his machine was actually cleaned. That’s when I replied, “he obviously never learned that slow and steady actually wins the race”. When we got in the truck I said, “Looks like the hare lost once again didn’t he”. I ended up making a deal with him that bc I knew it would damage his huge ego too much, I wouldn’t tell everyone what happened as long as he never called me turtle again. The best part was that I could see that it was killing him inside anytime someone referred to me as Turtle and I didn’t care but when he was around he always called me John.

The Good:
I was coaching a fall 14u rec baseball team and we were always short kids bc a lot of the kids played football too. One day one of the players asked if he could bring his friend who’s pretty fast with him to fill in and I said sure. They show up and it’s a tall lean kid and I ask him what his name was. He replied that everyone calls me bullet. When I asked him how he got that name he just said that some kids think I’m fast. So anyway of course we were short again and had to play with 8 players. I asked him where he played and he said he would play CF if no one else is playing there. I just told him we wouldn’t have a RF’er so just use that speed you have if a ball is hit there. The kid was so friggin fast that he covered center and right field like it was just another average day for him. And when he was on first, a 3b threw to first on a grounder and this kid didn’t even consider stopping at 2nd. What’s funny is that I was coaching 3rd and when he stopped at third on that play he says, “Hey coach do you see why everyone calls me bullet”. Obviously all I could do was laugh. Cool thing was that I found out that the kid actually went on to get a football scholarship and ran track in college as well.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478