Nice!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 12, 2020
I hope you don't mind a bit of a hijack, but this is video of dd a few days ago. Clemenslee & Cornbread hit home when he mentioned the awkward feeling, and dd following pitch #3 yells back "I'm early" when she quickly explains why she checked her swing. And also the moment that when she hitches in swing 1 (felt early), she is in maybe the best position to launch that she ever has gotten to.

She is always upside down when she swings, but that one time she wasn't

She then fights back rushed over the course of the next few swings before she gets a somewhat more calm move out towards the end.

Recognizing how she feels is a pretty neat step I think.

Last edited:

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Another feel for head to toe compression is pumping (compressing) against the stride foot trying to lift. That will engage the lead side oblique and create the reciprocating reaction when moving out.

2xXu8mw.gif

Oct 2, 2017
I hope you don't mind a bit of a hijack, but this is video of dd a few days ago. Clemenslee hit home when he mentioned the awkward feeling, and dd following pitch #3 yells back "I'm early" when she quickly explains why she checked her swing. And also the moment that when she hitches in swing 1 (felt early), she is in maybe the best position to launch that she ever has gotten to.

She then fights back rushed over the course of the next few swings before she gets a somewhat more calm move out towards the end.

Let me just say from experience, be careful with that wide open stance. My DD had that exact stance, I can cause problems with the move out if not careful, especially at this age. just IMO

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
I hope you don't mind a bit of a hijack, but this is video of dd a few days ago. Clemenslee hit home when he mentioned the awkward feeling, and dd following pitch #3 yells back "I'm early" when she quickly explains why she checked her swing. And also the moment that when she hitches in swing 1 (felt early), she is in maybe the best position to launch that she ever has gotten to.

Shifting to swing or ABAF

1614183701298.gif

vs

shift then swing or S-plane

1614183793323.gif

notice the mini Yelich load. You have the energy going in the right direction BM. Vertical. That’s more than half the battle.

Edit: notice the anterior oblique stretch and when it happens in both. Very telling. That would be when the bb turns.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2017
Shifting to swing or ABAF

View attachment 21153

vs

shift then swing or S-plane

View attachment 21154

notice the mini Yelich load. You have the energy going in the right direction BM. Vertical. That’s more than half the battle.

Edit: notice the anterior oblique stretch and when it happens in both. Very telling. That would be when the bb turns.
I would say part of that is the setup wide open stance. Unless done properly, it forces one to often have ABAF

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2017

BM, this is good work! She’s gonna get more and more comfortable with it. She roped a few of those.

Sep 17, 2009
I hope you don't mind a bit of a hijack, but this is video of dd a few days ago. Clemenslee & Cornbread hit home when he mentioned the awkward feeling, and dd following pitch #3 yells back "I'm early" when she quickly explains why she checked her swing. And also the moment that when she hitches in swing 1 (felt early), she is in maybe the best position to launch that she ever has gotten to.

You are working the right stuff albeit I'd argue with the wrong tools. Ie, the machine throwing relatively high speed (for her age). She has to read the ball drop out of the coaches hand which can vary and time a pitch that for her seems fast all while *learning* how to get herself moved out and launched properly. Too much.

Put her thinking/working cap on and work the slow, controlled move-out against front soft toss. Do it a lot. I'm not saying she shouldn't see machine speed or fast front-toss (it will help her get game-ready) but when she does at her age things are going to break down quickly and any positive steps forward/learnings will get offset by bad habits. Just a thought.

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
1614183793323.gif

This is where the swing is ruined.

Frame #1 - the bat head should be pointed up not (sorta) flat. You lose all the leverage with the bat, and are forced to push the bat around (bat drag)

batters-at-toetouch.png

Frame#2 - the hands are pushing away from the armpit, and they push back toward the catcher.
The hands should stay near the armpit until the back elbow gets all the way down to the hip (position called 'hip slot')
Then, the hands should push forward to the ball, not down/back.

Dec 12, 2020
Frame#2 - the hands are pushing away from the armpit, and they push back toward the catcher.
The hands should stay near the armpit until the back elbow gets all the way down to the hip (position called 'hip slot')
Then, the hands should push forward to the ball, not down/back.

Very clear, and understandable. That'll click with her, I'm certain I've been a bit vague about it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom