Nice weather at PGF Nationals So Cal.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
Just remember California is a big state. There are a lot of teams within 100 miles of Huntington Beach, but not all of us. Its' 424 miles from the state capital Sacramento to Huntington Beach. It's almost 700 miles from the Oregon border to Huntington Beach. Tulsa, Oklahoma is only 640 miles from Indianapolis.

Had a parent who had a few days to kill between TCS Nationals and PGF message asking if I could help them contact Rich Balswick to schedule a lesson. I said sure, if you are willing to drive 409 miles for a pitching lesson. That is almost as far as Chattanooga, TN is from Indianapolis.

It's almost 800 miles from the top to bottom of California. New York City is only about 10 miles further away from Indianapolis as the Oregon border is from Huntington Beach.
Right..so does that make you more willing to travel out of state since traveling to SoCal is a pain in the as* anyway ? :ROFLMAO: Not sure where you were going with this in regards to the discussion at hand..

My sister-in-law lives in Northern California...only been there once myself (San Fran) for a conference 10+ years ago (didn't even stay overnight..gave my talk and then got on a flight to HI for my other sister-in-law's wedding).

Last edited:

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
From SoCal It is closer to drive to Nevada and Arizona than it is to Northern California. Can drive to Colorado in the same amount of time it takes to get to Oregon. People drive out of California all the time to play softball. Very routinely actually. If they didn't want to they wouldn't. *But I actually think it's kind of funny how much they'll drive to another state to play the same teams.
*That may be something that's aggravating for people.

My comment earlier was that older players go to other states and include looking at college's and doing camps that is a benefit of going to other states that are more Midwest or east coast.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
With 40 million people living in California...
California teams driving and going to other states helps the economic contribution to business in those areas.
Possibly without the amount of California teams that go to those areas they wouldn't hold some of those tournaments. Arizona certainly benefited in 2020.

Jun 8, 2016
With 40 million people living in California...
California teams driving and going to other states helps the economic contribution to business in those areas.
Possibly without the amount of California teams that go to those areas they wouldn't hold some of those tournaments. Arizona certainly benefited in 2020.
This is true.

Are you trying to make a point with your last two posts about CA teams traveling out of state because I (or anybody else) never said they don't..that is obviously not true. If not carry on ;)

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Just remember California is a big state. There are a lot of teams within 100 miles of Huntington Beach, but not all of us. Its' 424 miles from the state capital Sacramento to Huntington Beach. It's almost 700 miles from the Oregon border to Huntington Beach. Tulsa, Oklahoma is only 640 miles from Indianapolis.

Had a parent who had a few days to kill between TCS Nationals and PGF message asking if I could help them contact Rich Balswick to schedule a lesson. I said sure, if you are willing to drive 409 miles for a pitching lesson. That is almost as far as Chattanooga, TN is from Indianapolis.

It's almost 800 miles from the top to bottom of California. New York City is only about 10 miles further away from Indianapolis as the Oregon border is from Huntington Beach.
San Diego is closer to El Paso than it is to Beaumont, Tx is. By 2 hours. For Teams in El Paso, they are better served to travel to San Diego vs playing in East Tx.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
This is true.

Are you trying to make a point with your last two posts about CA teams traveling out of state because I (or anybody else) never said they don't..that is obviously not true. If not carry on ;)
Just offering Logistics and that people willingly do this.

* I also offered a reasoning of why people might complain because they drive that far to play the same teams

radness

Dec 13, 2019
San Diego is closer to El Paso than it is to Beaumont, Tx is. By 2 hours. For Teams in El Paso, they are better served to travel to San Diego vs playing in East Tx.
And there's more about logistics!

Jan 22, 2011
My daughter's teams have played tournaments in Oregon, Arizona, Nevada, and Colorado.

PGF was started because, So Cal teams were noticing they were going to Normal, IL; Sioux Falls, SD; El Paso, TX, etc; to USA softball tournaments that it seemed like half the teams were from California. So the SoCal orgs came up with the great idea to start a tournament where most of their teams could sleep in their own beds, play where there aren't rain delays, and it usually isn't humid. Then attract teams from other parts of the country by saying you are playing within 10 miles of the ocean and can extend your trip a day or two to spend time at Disneyland.

The So Cal teams brought some of their concerns to USA softball and they ignored them.

Alliance is more complicated. A lot of it is folks wanted a different tournament format and liked the idea of the statewide/regional leagues that I believe started in Texas, then spread around the country. They had some concerns they brought to PGF and they were ignored, so they formed Alliance.

I may be hallucinating this, but I remember reading in 2019 that a baseball org was looking to buy PGF. I've heard that Covid definitely affected the financial health of PGF and a lot of teams weren't happy PGF didn't refund tournament fees for canceled 2020 tournaments but were only giving credits.

There was a partnership announced between PGF and Perfect Game in 2020, which I thought was a nice way of saying Perfect Game had bought PGF. But I can't seem to find any reference to that occuring.

My supposition is Perfect Game has some control over PGF even if they didn't buy PGF, and the big softball orgs that helped start PGF didn't like having less control over PGF, so expanded the State/Regional league idea to become Alliance.

Or maybe I should take off the tin-foil hat.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2011

Yeah, when touring colleges in Texas for my DD this summer after looking at TAMU she decided she wanted to look at Texas Tech instead of University of Texas-Austin. I knew, but my DD and DW had no idea we were about to do a 6 to 7 hour drive. We changed our return flight to Lubbock instead of driving the 380 miles to fly back out of Austin.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812