NFHS: Tagging with two stikes - foul ball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 17, 2012
In NFHS can you tag up on a caught foul ball with two strikes?

I didn't think you could, I thought you could only tag with zero or one strikes.

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
A runner can tag up and advance on a fly ball caught over foul territory, no matter what count the batter had...

...except maybe in some versions of slow pitch. But we can save that thread for the "Discuss Slow Pitch" discussion board. ;)

Nov 17, 2010
Thanks. In NSA you can't tag with two strikes on a foulball (fastpitch).

Wow, the things one can learn on this board!

So, does this mean that the ball is dead on a foul ball with two strikes? If not, what's the penalty if you do tag up?

Jun 22, 2008
Here is the actual rule citation out of the NSA rule book. Based on the wording of a strike being called for each foul ball including strike 3, this leads me to believe this may be a slow pitch rule, but can find nowhere that it specifies if this is in regard to FP or SP.

EFFECT: Rule 7, Sec. 8 (a-d) The ball is dead. A strike is called on the batter for each foul ball, including the third strike. Baserunners must return to their bases without liability to be put out. Baserunner may not advance on a third strike foul ball, including a legally caught foul ball, however all runners may advance on any other legally caught foul ball.

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Easy to tell if it's a slow or fast pitch rule. Their rule book has completely different sections for each. Without even looking, I'd lay money that you're reading the slow pitch rule.

(Edited to add: Okay, I looked it up. That's the slow pitch rule. Fast pitch rule says that runners may advance on any caught fly ball.)

Last edited:
May 17, 2012
Easy to tell if it's a slow or fast pitch rule. Their rule book has completely different sections for each. Without even looking, I'd lay money that you're reading the slow pitch rule.

(Edited to add: Okay, I looked it up. That's the slow pitch rule. Fast pitch rule says that runners may advance on any caught fly ball.)

When I look at the rules I click on the fastpitch only rules link. Even when looking at the complete rule book, on page 112 (in the fastpitch section) it states:

"Rule 7, Sec. 8 (a-d) The ball is dead. A strike is called on the batter for each foul ball, including the third strike. Baserunners must return to their bases without liability to be put out. Baserunner may not advance on a third strike foul ball, including a legally caught foul ball, however all runners may advance on any other legally caught foul ball."

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478