NFHS rules Whats the penalty for an illegal bat.... Hint it's a Ghost

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 25, 2019
Or, like TMIB mentioned, when a previous infraction either went unpunished or incorrectly punished. But then, it would be both the coach and the blue that didn't know the rule.

Best bet, if you know it's illegal, or you're not sure, deal with it pregame and remove the doubt. Then let the player and her parents know that she can't use it in those types of games.

The stupid thing is when these kids have the correct bat IN THEIR BAG, but chose to use the illegal bat because they like it better (and they didn't get caught last time).
It could be umpire fault. We tell the coaches to have their players line up all bats and helmets that are going to be used in the game on the fence prior to the game for inspection. Maybe the umpire didn't do that, or the player snuck it in.

May 29, 2015
Here's a good learning video from him, what's your call TMIB,?......I would of missed it entirely looking at that great mountain view.

I stopped after the initial play (about 17 seconds or so).

I‘ve got her safe because the ball was sitting on top of the closed glove; it wasn’t secured. (Now I’ll finish watching.)

EDIT: I guess I didn’t need to stop it. They show the play three times but don’t give the answer.

And yes ... I would work the bases all weekend long with that view! Best view around here is corn and power plants. Oh, and one field my daughter played at that was a park right next to a federal prison. Not sure who thought that was a good idea.

Last edited:
May 29, 2015
It could be umpire fault. We tell the coaches to have their players line up all bats and helmets that are going to be used in the game on the fence prior to the game for inspection. Maybe the umpire didn't do that, or the player snuck it in.

NFHS no longer requires umpires to check equipment. It is a POE (Point Of Emphasis) to coaches that THEY are responsible for ensuring their players have legal equipment.

Your state association may though. In Illinois, we did it for two years (I think) before it was discontinued. At the clinic this past weekend they emphasized that we are not quoted to, but we should if a coach requests or a team sets it out.

My only issue with the “setting it out” is that it is rare a team actually sets ALL of it out. We were always telling players to grab bats out of bags, asking for the catcher’s helmet, etc.

May 31, 2018
Allen TX
Happened to us this weekend. NFHS rules, and girl on other team got caught with USSSA Ghost. Ump let her switch bats in middle of AB. The parents on the other team were livid. I asked Blue if he was going to toss her and the Coach and he said "no, it is just warning". I didn't argue since we were winning be a bit and they were about to done for the day.

We have 2 girls on our team that carry that bat. I made them take them out of the dugout during the tournament just in case.

Aug 25, 2019
NFHS no longer requires umpires to check equipment. It is a POE (Point Of Emphasis) to coaches that THEY are responsible for ensuring their players have legal equipment.

Your state association may though. In Illinois, we did it for two years (I think) before it was discontinued. At the clinic this past weekend they emphasized that we are not quoted to, but we should if a coach requests or a team sets it out.

My only issue with the “setting it out” is that it is rare a team actually sets ALL of it out. We were always telling players to grab bats out of bags, asking for the catcher’s helmet, etc.
NY/USA requires us to do it, that's why we say, equipment used in games, if there are 15 girls on a team, around here they all usually have 2 bats, we not gonna check 30 bats each team.....That's funny too, because most girls, my DD included, use one bat, yet like to carry two.

May 29, 2015
USA Softball still requires umpires to check, regardless of the state. So does USSSA.

We ask them not to bring it out if they aren’t going to use it ... however it cannot remain in the dugout either. If it is in the dugout, we have to check it.

As far as issuing a warning ... that‘s a decision. It’s a wrong decision that is not provided for in any common code. The batter does not have to put a ball into play; entering the batter’s box with an illegal bat IS the offense. The prescribed penalty is pretty clear and does not contain the word “may”.

Last edited:
May 16, 2012
Missouri
C
More often than not, that is the case. What is more frustrating (as an umpire) is when they were told that previously by an umpire who did not impose any penalty (or the right penalty) ... and so the coach plays ignorant and lets them keep using it.

I had a middle school team four times last fall where I threw out the same two bats and the same two helmets at EVERY pre-game inspection. The first time both girls told me they knew the helmets were missing screws, and one girl with a bat immediately turned to her parents and said “I told you it was broken!” Yet every game, there was the gear again. I can guarantee other umpires had let them use it in between.

Where the heck is this that the umpire is wearing a body cam?! ;)
curious as to why are you checking bats at a MS game? Does your state require even though NFHS does not?

2br02b

Trabant swing
Jul 25, 2017
Had this called on a team (blue Ghost, USSSA) we were playing last summer. Coach said "I told her not to use that bat and she didn't listen. Good. Now she can sit on the bleachers with me an listen for the next hour."

Aug 8, 2016
Oh, and one field my daughter played at that was a park right next to a federal prison. Not sure who thought that was a good idea.

The ballfields I grew up playing on were right next to a state prison. The prisoners actually did all of the field prep. The fields were always in great shape.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812