NFHS rules Whats the penalty for an illegal bat.... Hint it's a Ghost

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 25, 2019
He made the right call......Dumbest bat ever made, (great bat, mind you)......Easton 2019 Gold only for USSSA, not high school, Easton Blue only for high school /USA, not USSSA.

Jan 8, 2019
At least he was very cordial about it. (Although, the clip cut off at that point and the wailing and arguing may have commenced from there.)

May 29, 2015
Sooooo the coach knew that bat wasn't legal??

More often than not, that is the case. What is more frustrating (as an umpire) is when they were told that previously by an umpire who did not impose any penalty (or the right penalty) ... and so the coach plays ignorant and lets them keep using it.

I had a middle school team four times last fall where I threw out the same two bats and the same two helmets at EVERY pre-game inspection. The first time both girls told me they knew the helmets were missing screws, and one girl with a bat immediately turned to her parents and said “I told you it was broken!” Yet every game, there was the gear again. I can guarantee other umpires had let them use it in between.

Where the heck is this that the umpire is wearing a body cam?! ;)

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2019
At least he was very cordial about it. (Although, the clip cut off at that point and the wailing and arguing may have commenced from there.)
Doesn't sound like a argument was coming, and a coach should never make a comment about a clear cut rule. Arguments like that only start when coaches do not know the rules.

Aug 25, 2019
More often than not, that is the case. What is more frustrating (as an umpire) is when they were told that previously by an umpire who did not impose any penalty (or the right penalty) ... and that is why they are still using it.

I like that guy's videos, he has a bunch of them, some good one for rules. I think he's in Utah.

Jan 8, 2019
Doesn't sound like a argument was coming, and a coach should never make a comment about a clear cut rule. Arguments like that only start when coaches do not know the rules.
Or, like TMIB mentioned, when a previous infraction either went unpunished or incorrectly punished. But then, it would be both the coach and the blue that didn't know the rule.

Best bet, if you know it's illegal, or you're not sure, deal with it pregame and remove the doubt. Then let the player and her parents know that she can't use it in those types of games.

The stupid thing is when these kids have the correct bat IN THEIR BAG, but chose to use the illegal bat because they like it better (and they didn't get caught last time).

Aug 25, 2019
More often than not, that is the case. What is more frustrating (as an umpire) is when they were told that previously by an umpire who did not impose any penalty (or the right penalty) ... and so the coach plays ignorant and lets them keep using it.

I had a middle school team four times last fall where I threw out the same two bats and the same two helmets at EVERY pre-game inspection. The first time both girls told me they knew the helmets were missing screws, and one girl with a bat immediately turned to her parents and said “I told you it was broken!” Yet every game, there was the gear again. I can guarantee other umpires had let them use it in between.

Here's a good learning video from him, what's your call TMIB,?......I would of missed it entirely looking at that great mountain view.