NFHS Intentional Walk

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 11, 2010
All I can say is where was this rule when I was coaching teams? I didn’t call IBBs often, but I remember one tournament when I did it twice and both times the pitcher threw one in the dirt that scored a runner fro third. Two different pitchers. And we actually practiced doing it from time to time.

Ken, unless you coached in high school, it isn’t a rule. In the tournaments you coached where there are time limit games (and therefore “moving the game along” actually matters) it isn’t a rule. It’s only a rule in high school and international as far as I can tell.

This is a baseball thing. Where the games drag on and pitchers have a limit on the number of pitches they can pitch.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2010
We good now? Because I had no idea there was a thing between us in the first place.

Absolutely! If there was a thing, it was a very small thing. There is something about the way I write that makes me come off harsher than I intend. I’m aware of it but I don’t always fix it.

I also very much want to tell you I appreciate what you do with coaching hs and working on trying to get your players opportunities that others wouldn’t help them with. That’s huge.

Hope your hs season is getting off to a good start.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Last weekend DD HS team is playing in the last game in a tourney vs an in district foe. The coach of the other team coached DD one summer during 16U and we really like her. Time has expired, ITB in effect. 2 outs runner on 3rd. Before DD gets up to bat opposing coach tells the umpire that she wants to walk DD and the next batter to load the bases. Next batter hits a shallow fly ball to RC, and the fielder gloves hit each other. Ball drops. Game over. We win! Coach played the percentages with the 3 and 4 batter up, and wanted to take a chance on a kid who is a weak batter but already has 2 hits in the game. Oh well.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Ken, unless you coached in high school, it isn’t a rule. In the tournaments you coached where there are time limit games (and therefore “moving the game along” actually matters) it isn’t a rule. It’s only a rule in high school and international as far as I can tell.

This is a baseball thing. Where the games drag on and pitchers have a limit on the number of pitches they can pitch.

Ok good, glad to hear it hasn't gone into travel ball. Even though when games have 1 hour 15 min time limits it might make sense.

I was more calling myself out for having had some bad luck when I did it. Most of the time it was successful - we executed the intentional walk and got the out we needed on the next hitter. But you are right - making the pitcher throw the pitches does add an element of risk to the strategy.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robertsonwhitney45