New video of my DD

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
What was that, a chunk of paint flying off the bat? I imagine that a lot will comment about the high back elbow, but tons of mlb players do it. I like her load. Just taped dd and she overloads top half of tee, then watching close front toss she doesn't load at all. Showed her your dd's lower half load for a mental pic.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
Crank

She has a pretty nice swing.

If I was working with her would ask her to lower the back elbow just a couple of inches.
Sometimes the back elbow will blur 2-4 inches before the front elbow moves.
Lowering it a couple will help her be just alittle more connected, meaning elbows working together. A little more power in the swing

She has a offset stance to see the ball good. most of her swings she stays stepped open.
Maybe draw a chalk line from back foot toes straight out. (Hitter calls this the line of force)
Then have her step into the swing at least out straight to the chalk line. She could even step a inch or 2 over the line.

That will keep the lead side more closed later in the swing, more power.
It also makes the front elbow to work better. a couple inches straight before it goes up and out.
Again abit more power.
Hope all this makes sense.

Straightleg

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Making progress.

Would like to see further improvement in how she loads her hands rearward as she coils her hips forward. Hand-set could also be improved ... a BHUT type move would satisfy both. Would also like to see the ball hit deeper in the zone.

23v1aww.gif

Feb 14, 2010
SL,

I agree with you on the back elbow moving before the front. I went to a coaches clinic in Chicago and Don slaught was one of speaker's and he kept stressing that the back elbow slotting is what initiated the swing, so when I came back I stressed that to Brooke, so what does she do? She forces the slot and the elbow get's ahead of hands and we have ourselves a mess. IMO it's the biggest mistake that I made with Brooke. The elbow will slot itself correctly if you let it. You can't swing correctly without it doing so. It's one of the athletic actions that I coached out of her and we paid the price. In the latest video the only thing we worked on was her fighting the slotting of the elbow purposely and it made a huge difference. She got on plane quicker and longer.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Don recognizes the relationship between the elbow lowering and what he considers the initiation of the swing ... and he's made a reasonable observation IMO ... however, he has it somewhat backwards ... it is the initiation of the swing that initiates the elbow lowering motion. The capture of transition, and the involvement of the lower body, is key IMO.

Feb 14, 2010
FFS,

Exactly. That's something I learned on my own by taking swings myself. When I played I never thought about my elbow slotting but when I emphasized it to Brooke she did and it killed her athleticism. I've become a firm believer in the body will do a lot of stuff on it's own if you let in a high level swing. Goes back to the saying" Don't coach it out of them" and I did, lol.

R

RayR

crank, if I can make a suggestion....

I would work on trying to turn the shoulders back later in the sequence....coil the hips if you'd like....then as she picks up the front leg to stride turn the shoulders back....at toe touch her shoulders should be a little more closed off imo....lower the front elbow...this helps create the shoulder turn away...

CaitlinBenji2005UCLA_SView.gif

ull-bertucci-side-hr-lc-ab2.gif

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Making progress.

Would like to see further improvement in how she loads her hands rearward as she coils her hips forward. Hand-set could also be improved ... a BHUT type move would satisfy both. Would also like to see the ball hit deeper in the zone.

23v1aww.gif

FFS, that might be the single hardest thing I have had to work on with the girls I coach. My dd has a lot of room for improvement in that area.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cputman12