New Travel team

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 10, 2016
Georgia
My daughter was with a travel team for 2 years with one of her friends. Her friend wasn't getting enough playing time so she wanted to leave and try out for another team. So of course she wanted my daughter to come with. So they tried out together for another team and both got offers.

My question is what is the best way to tell her former team she went to another team. Everyone on the team was super nice and my daughter got plenty of playing time. But the team was super laid back and so DD wasn't getting a whole lot of instruction. This new team looks like they will have more of that - plus coaches are former sb players.

Thanks for any tips!

Oct 29, 2018
As with leaving a job like in an exit interview, keep it short, sweet, and positive. Don't burn any bridges no matter how much they try to get you to say something negative, don't. Be graceful and thankful in your exit. And you don't need to tell her team, just tell the coach you are leaving.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
"We greatly appreciate all that you have done for us, and we have really enjoyed our time with the team. We have decided that it's time to make a change, and we won't be continuing with this team. Thank you, we wish you all much success, and hope to see you out on the fields sometime soon."

Aug 3, 2020
If you daughter truly enjoyed playing with the team, offer to play as a sub when needed and available as well. That keeps her options open and depending on the situation the other team might be in a tough position losing two girls they were not expecting to lose.

Aug 10, 2016
Georgia
If you daughter truly enjoyed playing with the team, offer to play as a sub when needed and available as well. That keeps her options open and depending on the situation the other team might be in a tough position losing two girls they were not expecting to lose.
Yea and the team does utilize pick ups a decent amount. Depending on her new team's schedule, I think she would be happy to pick up with them. I was the primary scorekeeper too so they will need to find a new one :/ It's odd since she had only gotten on the team due to being a pick up player - they asked her to join. Then a few tournaments in - I was doing Game Changer for them ;)

If you are even considering playing as a pick up player for any team. Have that conversation with the new coach now. To find his perspective you may find out they want more control over your kid than your comfortable with. better to have that conversation at start.

May 6, 2015
Just told her old team - I feel so guilty because they are losing both one of their best pitchers and primary SS :/
one way to possibly help ameliorate your guilt is to maybe steer a couple of players to your old team who are looking for that level of ball. we have done that a time or two, and in a couple of cases it worked for team and playeer.

Apr 16, 2010
Alabama
Just told her old team - I feel so guilty because they are losing both one of their best pitchers and primary SS :/
Don't feel guilty. You have to do what is best for your DD because it is all about her. She has to have fun and enjoy the game. You are doing the right thing and the coaches should respect you letting them know she is leaving. We have found out in the past because a girl shows up at a tryout somewhere.

DD left her last team because she was tired of the way the HC was treating other girls. She had taken the high road and talked to him about three weeks before hoping it would make a difference. He was creating a division among the team. He had never treated her badly but she was tired of watching 4 or 5 teamates being belittled or blamed for every loss. To the point the OF was ridiculed after losing a game 5-0 on 5 solo HR's. It came to a head during the middle of a tourney after he made some comments before the game and after.

I was going to let her handle all of it but after some things he said I figured it would be best if I spoke to him. I tried to be very respectful and do the thanks but its time to move on thing. Once he started running his mouth that changed. It ended up being a not so nice conversation.

Oct 4, 2018
Yup, keep it positive and civil.

Softball suffers from "grass is always greener" more than most things in life. You may want back on that team one day.

Reactions: NEF

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
re.todd22